Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

PitViper   Flherp   Deadvenom-x   JEFF QUARLES   Serpentshideaway   LPGuy   JEFF QUARLES   Acuire antivenom   JEFF QUARLES   SoLA   JEFF QUARLES   Flherp   Flherp   Flherp  
 Member  Message

PitViper
View Profile

Have a question and Looking for answer

I hear so many things about false water cobra and i would like to know about its venom. Is its potent or Deadly or can it do a bit damage but not enough to kill an adult?

01/08/11  11:33pm

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: PitViper   In reference to Message Id: 2197180

Probably not enough to kill an adult. The effects of venom are dependent on volume of venom available, volume delivered, efficacy of the delivery system, potency of the venom and the size and health of the person bitten. Serious bites have been reported, with no reported fatalities - the nature of the injury appears to have been localized bleeding, pain and swelling in most cases with the possibility of some systemic symptoms in a case or two. As with any such animal best to remain among the unbitten.

01/09/11  08:21am

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2197218

They have not been studied enough to know exactly how the venom works. Ive been bit by hatchlings that I have hatched out in the past, it’s just minimal tingling and a bit of burning for a few seconds....I however do not want to get bit by mom.....what she can potentially do is a completely different level of pain lol
. Unless you are allergic, I dont think it would kill anyone, unless you are a 5 year old and on deaths door...maybe. It’s really hard to say.

8ft of food happy teeth....she keeps me on my toes! Here is a photo of her being held by a friend of mine

-Ashley

01/19/11  11:58am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2199404

That thing is awesome.

01/19/11  03:47pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2199471

i saw a youtube video of dr.brady barr got tagged by one and he let it chew on him at first he said it was non venomous lol and then it started burning and changed his mind its an older vid but he let it chew on him for a couple mins and hes still around so it seems to not be very affective against humans but as mentioned there isnt much research on there venom

02/14/11  11:42pm

LPGuy
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2205022

The venom is similar in composition to that of a canebrake rattlesnake which is VERY toxic and a world of hurt if you get bit by one. The difference in the False water cobras is in their ineffective delivery system. They simply cannot get the mount of venom into you that it would take to kill of maim.

03/28/11  07:54am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: LPGuy   In reference to Message Id: 2211771

Not even close to being accurate! Wish it was true but that is ridicules. Their venom is not much stronger than what you find in the Hog Nose snake or even the average Night snake...One drop from a single fang of venom from the Canebrake will kill you if not treated , where as the False Water Cobra will for sure get venom in you and does little harm but more of an allergic reaction. Studies from Cornel and Va Tech showed the same effects.

03/30/11  05:46pm

Acuire antivenom
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2212232

Hello i agree with the last post reply. The cobra venom can have serious permanent damage that is why it is one of the most easily accessible venom and, most hospitals do have it but it will be very expensive if you get a good bite so be prepared you can acquire antivenom from Mexico at only one place the laboratory, but they only ship to mexico so to be prepared for all snake bites go to antivenomandvaccine.com

i buy cobra antivenom their. It is really cool because if i get bit i just shoot the antivenom and lay down for an hour and i have nothin to worry about. Hope that helps.

04/10/11  12:01am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Acuire antivenom   In reference to Message Id: 2213725

That is the biggest load of bozo I have read to date..Everyone disregard this morons post.

04/10/11  07:19pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2213813

There was certainly some poor information in the post above Jeff’s, and even worse in some others, but I looked at that site that was posted and it sure looks like the right antivenins. We keep some of those at both of the facilities I work in. Now it would be interesting to see how easy it really is to buy. It looks like the cost is marked up quite a bit, so I hope that cost is because they do lots of the paperwork that needs to be done.

But please people, if you can get these drugs and you can get a doctor to administer them in the event of a bite (talk to your doctor before hand and don’t count on it when in need), do that. Do not try and mix the AV yourself, give yourself a shot and lay down for an hour.

04/12/11  07:35pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2214139

And I might be wrong but I’m fairly sure it has to be administered through an I.V at a slow pace..

04/16/11  05:45am

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2214665

There are photos of a few types of antivenom on the page, but this is not indicative that they have these medicines or the ability to transfer them to others. The 909 area code is in California which prohibits ownership of exotic venomous species, making the claims on the website dubious. Legally obtaining antivenom requires more than just money, but an Investigational New Drug Number and protocols to follow when the medications are used (as well as import permits). The nature of the medications and their FDA status would prohibit commercialization of these drugs without prior FDA approval. Considering these aspects of possession and transfer makes the likelihood that the website is legitimate less credible - no one answers the phone at 0344 either so the 24 hour response is less than ideal if you are in fact bitten by a non-native species.

04/17/11  03:33am

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2214782

It really looks as if was written by someone with less than a high school education, taking into account the misspellings and grammatical errors. The veracity of the writer and accuracy of the information is certainly suspect. Unfortunately, anyone with a modicum of knowledge can create a website and this appears to be the case here.

04/17/11  03:38am

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2214784

The prices are too high for Thai Red Cross Antivenoms.

04/17/11  03:39am

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area