Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

Kk143   JEFF QUARLES   Kelso reptiles   Serpentshideaway   Kelso reptiles   Serpentshideaway   Kelso reptiles   SoLA   Kelso reptiles   SoLA   SoLA   LPGuy   Kelso reptiles  
 Member  Message

Kk143
View Profile

Least venomous?

Hello,
I have always thought that venomous snakes were really beautiful as far as coloring and pattern goes. I have had snakes and other reptiles before so I am familiar with how to care for them. Sometime in the future I would be really interested to possibly own a venomous snake, but would like to start out with one that has the least damaging venom. Can anyone help me come up with a list?
Thanks.

12/30/10  05:05pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Kk143   In reference to Message Id: 2195256

Least venomous?

The Copperhead or Sidewinder probably has the least toxic venom in the US.

12/30/10  05:46pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2195264

Least venomous?

trust me sidewinders are the least venomouse snake in the us but they can make a lot of damage to you
i should no i got bit by one in 2010 and it was a baby it berly bit me i wacked it off my thumb as soon as i felt it (NO i didint kill it i love snakes) the docteor said that it only gave me a little bit of venom because all i got was a little swealling and a lot of brusing but ive seen worse

02/13/11  09:31pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2204796

Least venomous?

the venom in the copperheads and cotton mouths are very similar and my understanding is the sidewinders venom is stronger than the copp

02/14/11  11:38pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2205020

Least venomous?

yeah people think that sidewinders are the least venomous because there so small but thats not true

02/24/11  05:19pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2206752

Least venomous?

so you are retracting what you said "trust me sidewinders are the least venomouse snake in the us but they can make a lot of damage to you" that is what you said and now you are saying something else?

02/24/11  10:13pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2206809

Least venomous?

oppps sorry i spelled it wrong i ment arent

03/02/11  03:40am

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2207720

Least venomous?

Sorry, I responded to the wrong thread thinking I was responding to this one. For least venomous in the world, I said egg eaters. For least venomous in the USA, I am going to probably say a rubber boa.

03/06/11  07:03pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2208374

Least venomous?

rubber boas arnt venomous
thay are a kind of boida

03/20/11  07:24pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2210671

Least venomous?

Wow, you of all people lol. I explained origin of venom in a thread you started.

03/20/11  07:48pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2210679

Least venomous?

Sorry, you did not start the thread, but you responded to it. This was my original post.

"We still have a long way to go before we decide what is the least poisonous snake, since we only have a few poisonous snakes documented. The most poisonous I would have to hand to certain populations of Rhabdophis tigrinis : )

Now for least venomous snake... I suppose we could probably hand that to the egg eaters. In fact, I don’t even know if any venom has been able to be drawn from them, but I suppose we suspect there is some trivial hint there. Until recently we have not been able to draw venom from any of the boas or pythons, or many of the North American kings/milks, bulls/pines, and rat snakes. All that was able to be obtained was a mucus "snotty" substance. But after a little work, they were able to get some neurotoxins that could positively ID the origin of venom there. Neurotoxins would only be present in a venom gland, and serves no other interest but to subdue their prey.

So my answer would have to be...if you truly want the least venomous snake...get an egg eater."

03/20/11  07:57pm

LPGuy
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2210681

Least venomous?

Ringneck snakes are also very mildly venomous along with some water snakes and of course hognose snakes. If you are not willing to bear the burden of a possibly bad bite then you should stay away from venomous. Even copperheads and sidewinders will land you in the hospital with huge amounts of pain and a huge amount of debt.

just sayin

03/28/11  07:48am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: LPGuy   In reference to Message Id: 2211769

Least venomous?

HELL YEAH SIDEWINDERS WILL PUT YOU IN DEPT (UNLESS YOU HAVE A GOOD INSURANC)
WHEN I GOT BIT IT COST ME ONE HUNDRED AND 25 GRAND

03/31/11  12:57am

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area