Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

DBarber   Johnkorz   Chris H   Johnkorz   Chris H   Bayou Beasts   Chris H   Chris H   Serpentshideaway   Johnkorz   Serpentshideaway   Ballpythonclan   Johnkorz  
 Member  Message

DBarber
View Profile

S. Copperhead wanted

Hello, I have been reading this site for a while now but, I just joined today. I was hoping someone here would know where I could get a juvenile Southern Copperhead? Sex of the snake doesn’t matter. I live in the Pittsburgh area and haven’t seen any at the local shows in a long time. Depending on the price of the animal, I would be willing to pay for shipping. I would appreciate any info. Thanks

08/15/10  06:34pm

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: DBarber   In reference to Message Id: 2169584

S. Copperhead wanted

Just make sure it’s legal to own one and that you know how to handle them.
I moved to NC from eastern PA and I used to hear people say that they saw them in basements on occasion (although I never saw one in the 30+ years I spent growing up there along the Delaware River.)
Now here in NC I’ve seen them on my dirt lane while I was leaving the house! The neighbor likes to run them over because he thinks they are a danger to him and his kids.(Go figure!) I’ve seen two dead ones this past year.
You sure you want one? Really? Ball pythons are a lot nicer pet and you can handle them!
But what do I know! I have a baby snapping turtle as a pet that I found in my yard!
Take a look!

08/20/10  09:29pm

Chris H
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2170658

S. Copperhead wanted

sorry but I do not see a relation between the baby snapper and a copperhead. It is nothing alike.

Back on topic, OP, if you are sure that you want a hot I would suggest you get in touch with a responsible keeper in your area. Ask around at pet stores and see if you can track someone down or you can ask on kingsnake.com, fieldherpforum.com, or venomousreptiles.org and see if anyone on those forums would be willing to mentor you. Once you have done this then you can either catch your own copperhead, buy one at a show (Like the one in Hamburg) or order one from Faunaclassifieds or kingsnake.com.
Good luck.

08/21/10  11:20pm

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2170823

S. Copperhead wanted

Wow! If you don’t understand that both a snapping turtle and a copperhead snake take special attention related to safety for anyone that enters your house and that you would be liable for injury caused by either, I’m sorry to say you need a lesson!
Good luck acquiring a copperhead and having a long healthy life with it.
But as for the other guy... you can stand to learn a thing or two.

08/22/10  08:10pm

Chris H
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2171011

S. Copperhead wanted

Wow! If you don’t understand that the attention that needs to be given to each species is completely different then you need a lesson. Snapping turtles cannot kill you and can barely brake your finger- I would know having raised 10 common snapping turtles and kept 2 ally snappers (one of which bit me at 130lbs leaving nothing more than a sore light gash). I am not saying that they are not dangerous but I see that you have nothing against free handling a turtle but would you pick up a copperhead like that? What about the style of enclosures? I would not have a problem leaving a snapper in an open topped pond but would never leave a copper in such an enclosure.

As far as liability goes, I am liable for a crack in the sidewalk in front of my house but I wouldn’t say that a copperhead and a sidewalk crack are alike in any way... All I am trying to say is that if you wanted to put up pics of your turtle, start your own thread or if you really wanted to help this guy then pick a better analogy or gain some experience yourself.

08/25/10  12:00am

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2171510

S. Copperhead wanted

WOW!!!! I am glad I stopped by tonight of all nights I was bored and feeling kind of rude but I will try to be nice. You say "one of which bit me at 130lbs leaving nothing more than a sore light gash". You are a lucky ^%&*. I have kept a ton of snappers both allys, commons, Florida’s. I have also kept and bred Northern, southern, and trans Pecos, copperheads. I have picked up a snapper and a copperhead in the same fashion as the pic. So all B S aside.

I think in my opinion that a copperhead for a first hot is a good choice. I have been bit while field herping and once at a show. Both times I went about my business with alot of swelling and a ton of pain but no medical attention.(NOT A RECOMMENDATION). I was also bitten by one of my Pygmy’s the day before thanksgiving 2 years ago in the wrist with similar results.

If you are looking to dive into hots get a venom extractor ( great investment ) from walmart for 12-13 dollars. do some research and BE CAREFUL!!!! A bite sucks. These far fetched stories of snappers biting without mouths is one of the reasons the more respectful posters are gone. LETS keep in real people.

08/25/10  11:08pm

Chris H
View Profile

Message To: Bayou Beasts   In reference to Message Id: 2171668

S. Copperhead wanted

Venom extractors are horrible investments. They do not do anything and some even suggest that it localizes the venom making it worse in a smaller location (for example, if you are bit on the finger, instead of having a very swollen and sore arm, the venom will be kept in the hand due to the suction and could result in the amputation of a hand.)

08/27/10  07:42am

Chris H
View Profile

Message To: Bayou Beasts   In reference to Message Id: 2171668

S. Copperhead wanted

In response to Bayou, if you have been keeping 5 copperheads and have been bit 3 times and were free handling it like you say you were (as in the snapper pic) then you should probably reevaluate your safety procedures because something is wrong.

and OP, NEVER EVER EVER free handle a venomous snake like you would a snapping turtle. That is a good way to wind up dead or with a very expensive hospital bill.

08/28/10  10:30pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2172211

S. Copperhead wanted

I think what johnkorz meant he’s not the best person to tell you that you shouldn’t get it cus he has various pets most people wouldn’t own

09/01/10  12:22pm

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2172931

S. Copperhead wanted

Thanks! There’s someone who can see a simple point without over-analyzing it!

09/02/10  12:23pm

Serpentshideaway
View Profile

Message To: Johnkorz   In reference to Message Id: 2173195

S. Copperhead wanted

No prob nice box you have there

09/02/10  03:14pm

Ballpythonclan
View Profile

Message To: Serpentshideaway   In reference to Message Id: 2173244

S. Copperhead wanted

At 130Ibs A healthy alligator snapper should take off your finger I know this because it happened to me. It was literally hanging by the skin attached to my knuckle. I do agree though but this is me Its way easier to hold any type of snapper than an hot snake. But then again Johnkorz really was just saying he isnt the best to ask and I have to thank him for showing good pictures of his animals. Also Ive seen people with years of experience free handle copperheads some like my dad for 30+ years and never get bitten and even now as a old man he can still do it but thats because he worked with snakes all his life.
Just my two cents that a venom extractor is kinda a waste of money. Safe handling is the best thing and safe husbandry and keeping can prevent from going to the hospital.
And to the original poster going to a venomous reptile show is always the best experience in my opinion. And copperheads are the way to go for a first hot still though even though it wont kill you by getting bit ALWAYS treat a venomous snake as its deadly.

09/04/10  01:04am

Johnkorz
View Profile

Message To: Ballpythonclan   In reference to Message Id: 2173535

S. Copperhead wanted

Glad you saw my point too. Thanks. Sounds like DBarber (original poster) could get some great advice from some of the people that added to this string!
Good luck!

09/04/10  04:49pm

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area