Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

TheSurfer   Chris H   TheSurfer   Chris H   TheSurfer  
 Member  Message

TheSurfer
View Profile

What is the best time for. . .

Just wondering if anyone knows the best time of day to look for rattlesnakes?? I’m sure Jeff knows, but anyone else with some ideas is free to let me know. Thanks,
Will

07/24/10  12:36pm

Chris H
View Profile

Message To: TheSurfer   In reference to Message Id: 2164740

it depends on the species, the area you are looking and the weather for that day. Most are fairly crepuscular and will move in the earl morning or in the evening but if it is a hotter day they tend to start moving later in the evening and vice versa. This also changes from species to species. I usually see big Eastern diamondbacks when it is a bit cooler out and Dusky Pygmies when it is blazin hot.

I bring a temp gun with me road cruising and will check the road temperature. I usually find more snakes when the roads are about 75ºF so I start the evening on the dirt roads since the pavement will be too hot and then as the night progresses and the roads cool down more, i switch over to paved roads. This has always worked for me and I have never been out road cruising without finding a snake.

07/26/10  01:36pm

TheSurfer
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2165124

Thanks Chris! That helps a lot. The species I’m looking for are the great basin, midget faded, and the western. Do you know if those would apply to the same conditions you’ve found the eastern and the dusky pygmies??

Thanks again,

Will

07/26/10  04:30pm

Chris H
View Profile

Message To: TheSurfer   In reference to Message Id: 2165150

no, i dont know about those because I only herp the east coast. Sorry.

07/26/10  05:19pm

TheSurfer
View Profile

Message To: Chris H   In reference to Message Id: 2165157

no worries, i’ll just take your suggestions with the ones you’ve found, and see if they work for the ones in my area.

07/26/10  06:00pm

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area