Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Venomous Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Pbcrazy187   Pbcrazy187   Happyherp   Rebelyell83   Flherp   JEFF QUARLES   Flherp   Pbcrazy187   Rebelyell83   Flherp   Concolor1   Momo12191   Dillpickle   The roadrunner   Dillpickle   Pbcrazy187   Reptileguy123   Concolor1   Pbcrazy187   Flherp   Likuidslider603   Snakeobsession   Concolor1   Pbcrazy187   Flherp   Pbcrazy187   Pbcrazy187   Kelso reptiles   Pbcrazy187   Kelso reptiles  
Pages 1 2 Next

Member  Message

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Well i guess i earned my self a moron award haha (graphic)

hey how has every one over here been. i noticed this forum has been pretty dead so i decided to throw up some pics of the bite i got from a great basin rattlesnake last saturday.

08/08/09  12:12am

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2052923

08/08/09  12:22am

Happyherp
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2052925

so gross yet so wildly addictive to keep looking at......

are you ok now? and OMG OUCH does not even begin to cover that!

08/08/09  12:58am

Rebelyell83
View Profile

Message To: Happyherp   In reference to Message Id: 2052934

that had to suck,messing with a wild one,or was a captive one?

08/08/09  04:48am

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Rebelyell83   In reference to Message Id: 2052965

Fasciotomy is rarely indicated for snakebite. It is an expensive procedure that does little to resolve the complications and swelling associated with venom induced swelling. It does however leave the patient with some interesting scarring. How much antivenom was administered for the bite?

08/08/09  06:42am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2052985

I am wondering why the incisions with the treatment of crofab?? He either took his time getting to the hospital or he did not fair well with the crofab. Glad you seem to be doing fine though.

08/08/09  11:12am

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2053073

Even late in a bite, the intracompartmental pressures usually are not high enough to merit fasciotomy. in any case, there are a few non-invasive steps that can be taken to reduce swelling other than surgery. In general, there is usually undertreatment rather than over treatment with antivenom for snakebites and possibly an overuse of surgery to treat the injury.

08/08/09  03:37pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2053174

hey it was a wild caught snake the doctors administered 14 vials of crofab and the swelling did not go down so they did the faciotomy. it only took me 15 minutes to get to the hospital. sorry if my spelling is off im really druged up

08/08/09  08:12pm

Rebelyell83
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2053269

hey,,just be glad you can type!!!!

08/08/09  09:45pm

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Rebelyell83   In reference to Message Id: 2053340

As I posted earlier, there are less invasive methods of reducing swelling in the case of snakebite. It is not just a matter of swelling, but of actually diagnosing compartment syndrome, a fairly rare occurence in snakebite. It cannot be properly diagnosed by swelling alone, there are complications associated with this type of injury which may require surgery, but prior to surgery it should be properly diagnosed. 14 vials of CroFab is not really that much antivenom for a significant snakebite. The primary reason for the swelling is venom, it is a venom problem that is really not treated by surgery. Antivenom is needed to neutralize the venom resident in the tissues. It is not just my opinion, but has been the subject of some investigation -

http://kpssctoxicology.org/pdf/fasciotomy_for_Snakebite.pdf

There are instances in which it may be required, however, it may be over used in the case of snakebite.

08/09/09  06:57am

Concolor1
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2053517

I Had a Fasciotomy 20-odd Years Ago . . .

This was from a crush injury (trauma) that accompanied a broken leg. I’m embarrassed to admit it, but the circumstances were nearly as ridiculous as getting tagged by carelessly handling a venomous snake (and I haven’t handled a hot in nearly 40 years).

It was my call on the surgery, but the key was the nurse’s aid who administered an hour or two’s worth of pressure checks to evaluate the possibility of compartmental syndrome. The pressure was rising so I elected to spend the next ten days on my back (I’d just graduated from college and was unemployed, but the State of Utah picked up the tab, fortunately). The fracture was pretty much incidental (a mild tib break), and I was walking with a brace on it within a day of my discharge.

The difference between trauma-induced and venom-induced compartmental syndrome is worth noting, however. As Flherp’s link mentions,

For compartment syndrome following trauma and related conditions, the patho-physiology appears to hinge on increased pressure. For venom-induced compartment syndrome, the central factor is likely to be direct venom effects on the tissue and not solely the resulting increase in compartment pressure . . . Proponents of fasciotomy must demonstrate improved functional outcome using appropriate research design in the study of venom-induced compartment syndrome.

I’m not unhappy with the results of my surgery; the scars at this point are barely noticeable (and being slightly chubby and in my 50’s, vanity doesn’t trouble me much these days). And my leg works just fine . . .

Sean Bush was on a new Animal Planet episode on snakebites a few weeks ago (Bring back Venom E.R. . . . Please!). He suggested if your doctor wanted to do a fasciotomy for a snakebite that you get another doctor . . . Well, Dr. Bush is far more knowledgeable than I, so I would bow to his judgment on that one . . . And if I ever stick my hand in the wrong hidey hole out here, he’d be the guy I’d want to treat it . . .

Anyway, I’ll show you my scars if you want to see ’em, but when I tell the story, you gotta promise not to laugh too loud . . .

08/09/09  04:36pm

Momo12191
View Profile

Ouch that looks like it hurts.Its so big.I mean i would be crying if that happend. Id rather have something happen bad then that.

molly

08/13/09  10:33am

Dillpickle
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2052923

u sure as hell earned that award

08/16/09  09:05pm

The roadrunner
View Profile

not only an award ull probably get a big trophy 2

08/16/09  09:06pm

Dillpickle
View Profile

Message To: The roadrunner   In reference to Message Id: 2058403

a big shiny one

08/16/09  09:07pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Dillpickle   In reference to Message Id: 2058405

i went in for surgery on Wednesday and they stitched me up......... kinda

08/21/09  03:38pm

Reptileguy123
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2061599

Why did they have to open your arms up? Those are some big incisions. I see stuff about swelling....

08/24/09  10:21am

Concolor1
View Profile

Message To: Reptileguy123   In reference to Message Id: 2062792

So, Pbcrazy, In The Interest of Full Disclosure...

Were you sober when this happened, or were you part of the overwhelming statistical majority of venomous snakebite victims in your age bracket who are males who’d been imbibing when it happened?

I don’t drink anymore, but I did some really stupid things back when I did, so there’s no need to feel uncomfortable (I was sober, though, when I broke my leg as described above).

And please, don’t anyone take this as a suggestion they avoid drinking if they’re of legal age . . .

Although I suggest it’s advisable not to handle one’s hots after you’ve had a few . . .

08/24/09  11:26am

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Concolor1   In reference to Message Id: 2062812

Hahaha the hospital asked me the same question. yes i was completely sober. the hospital didnt believe me so they did a blood test haha.

08/27/09  11:12pm

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2064451

Blood should be drawn anyway and labs repeated every 4-6 hours.

08/28/09  05:04am

Likuidslider603
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2064511

I am interested in what happened in order for you to get bit, if you dont mind talking about it. I mean like, what were you doing when it tagged you and what could you have done better? Were you using a hook a certain way, or not using one, etc. Just to help keep some of us safe who could avoid this happening if we know we need to improve on our method.

08/28/09  04:46pm

Snakeobsession
View Profile

Message To: Likuidslider603   In reference to Message Id: 2064736

uhmmmm, those stitches def. do not look secure and jeez I have never seen anybodys arm like that. you are lucky!!!!

08/29/09  12:28pm

Concolor1
View Profile

Message To: Snakeobsession   In reference to Message Id: 2065035

Re: Stitches Do Not’ Look Secure . . .

That’s exactly how a fasciotomy operates (no pun intended). It’s the reason I spent ten days on my back 20 years ago (crush injury from a car, not a snake), so the wound could be left open to drain to prevent "compartmental syndrome" (You can Google that one up).

The comment about fasciotomy rarely being indicated for a snakebite is probably well taken (not being a doctor, I’ll qualify my statement, and I’m not disagreeing with you Flherp, just acknowledging my own lack of expertise). Dr. Bush was really blunt about that one on a recent new Animal Planet show (I believe it was "Uncut and Untamed"). He said if your doctor wants to do a fasciotomy, get a new doctor.

Well, he’s the expert’s expert. and I think everyone here loves him . . . I don’t own hots, but he’d be the guy I’d want if I put my hand in the wrong spot trying to pick up a geode or trilobite fossil sometime (I was gonna say arrowhead, but I believe it’s against the law to remove those from public lands).

Of course Phcrazy is kind of stuck with the situation now . . .

08/29/09  01:25pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Concolor1   In reference to Message Id: 2065050

hey. well i got a call from a buddy who had found the rattlesnake on his property. he told me if i did not come get it he was going to kill it so i went out and grabbed it. when i got home i got him out of the bag with the snake hook. as i was putting him in the temporary cage i let my guard down and he tagged me.

the doctor said he had treated over forty snake bites and i was the second fasciotomy he ever had to do.

About the blood they did draw blood every four hours. my blood platelet lever droped to like 50 thousand or something haha i cant quite remember i was pretty druged up.

oh and just for a laugh the hospital bill came to 227,440.86 dollars. 187,000.00 of that was for anti-venom

08/29/09  08:44pm

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2065258

I would negotiate a lower price on the CroFab, it costs about 2000 or so a vial. If your figures are correct, they are asking well over $10,000 per vial at 14 vials total used. The surgery is not cheap either, I hope you are insured.

08/29/09  09:08pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 2065265

oh ok thanks. i have never been bit before so i have no idea how much crofab costs. my dad retired from the coast guard and i am 18 so i do have some pretrty good insurance. turns out i took 18 vials of anti venom

09/03/09  10:01pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2067354

bump for Chris H

11/14/10  11:14pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

man am i lucky i got bit by a sidewinder in 2010 but i only got a little injection because all i got was a lot of swealling and alot of brusing man o man am i lucky do you have any nerve damage

02/13/11  09:42pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2204800

hahaha yeah i dont know why my reaction was so bad. The doctor said it was just because the snake injected alot of venom.

03/16/11  12:22am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 2209815

yeah doctors dont normaly know alot about venomous snake bite so they will call someone they know that spesilizes in snake bites or they will call poisin control thats what they did for me
i almos went to loma linda to see sean bush but he said go to a nerer hospital so i went to vegas i live near the boardor of cali and nevada
hows the scaring and how long ago did it happen

03/20/11  05:39pm

Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area