Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

Eekster   SinisterSerpents   Eekster   SinisterSerpents   Eekster   SinisterSerpents   Eekster   SinisterSerpents   Eekster   Eekster   RePtiLOVER   SinisterSerpents   Eekster   SinisterSerpents   Eekster   Tylerrobey30  
 Member  Message

Eekster
View Profile

White Lipped Viper Breeding

Hello
I’m ready to give my white lipped vipers a shot at breeding, they are established, healthy, and eat like pigs.

I need to know what time of year to introduce them, and what process to use as far as cooling ect before and after introduction.

Very little info found on the process of breeding these guys.

Thanks
Eric

04/15/09  12:48am

SinisterSerpents
View Profile

Message To: Eekster   In reference to Message Id: 1986109

Hey eric. The gabbys doing great. I gave her a bath yesterday and apparently she is big enough to climb out of the tub by herself LOL Which was something i was only half expecting when i went in to get her.

As far as the white lippeds go. I would start opening some windows in the snake room when it starts getting nice out (this will increase the barometric pressures) and start misting them more frequently. Giving them the feeling of a "wet season" But dont take the word "wet" litterally. Wet only causes problems as im sure you know. A fine mist 2-4 times a week is all thats needed. If all goes well you could either introduce them both to each other right away. Or do what I would do and wait entil the female sheds or is in shed to introduce the male.
These are the method’s i learned to breed bush vipers. But im sure the proceedure is similar.

04/15/09  12:58pm

Eekster
View Profile

Message To: SinisterSerpents   In reference to Message Id: 1986271

That is exactly what I amd doing short of the windows being open.

They have both been cooled for the winter just a few degrees, I put the temps back to normal a week ago and warmed up the basking spot a little.

the female shed 2 weeks ago and I introduced the male last night. I have been misting them daily but the cage breathes well so it’s not overly wet or humid.

I also turned the hours of day light up but I think it is the wrong time of year for breeding but we’ll see maybe this will trick them into breeding.

I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks
Eric G

The gabby hates water that is about the only time she moves fast. Lol

04/15/09  04:43pm

SinisterSerpents
View Profile

Message To: Eekster   In reference to Message Id: 1986364

When i put her in the bath tub she didn’t spaz out or anything. She just sat there and took a very long drink so i left her for an hour and came back and when i did she was roaming my bathroom LOL. I knew she was big enough to climb out of the tub but i didn’t think she would be motivated enough to actually drag her fat but up and out. She is a pretty big girl for an 07 baby. I put her in one of my 3ft visions with some repti bark rather than in that 2ft cage with newspaper. I also gave her a shift box. While shes small enough to easily be moved with 2 hooks or even 1 hook. I try to keep the handling of large bitis to a minimum. During handling it is far too easy to hurt a snake of that size.

Ill look through some of the books i have and try to find the season when albolabris mate. I would think spring or fall. I have a friend that used to breed them. Ill drop him a message and see what he has to say on the subject. Ya keep me posted and good luck.

Ill also share a trick i picked up from a friend. If the female sheds and you aren’t ready to introduce the male. Take the shed and put it in a zip lock bag and store it in the fridge until you are ready. It will lock in the pheromones.

04/15/09  05:38pm

Eekster
View Profile

Message To: SinisterSerpents   In reference to Message Id: 1986406

With a little luck they will breed for me if not I’ll try again in the fall.

I have to find an 06-07 male formosa 100% het to put with my red eyed female this year or borrow my friends.

My panamint will be dropping babies soon and my B&W spitter looks like she might be gravid fingers crossed..

Got my big female burm to late this year but plenty early for up coming season.

Hopefully I will have some babies this year or early next year.

That gabby may be an 06 she was about 14inches when I got her in 07 so it is very possible. Glad you like her, I almost regret selling her but that’s the way it goes sometimes. I am happy she is in a good home if you ever go to sell her just let me know guaranteed sale.

Eric

04/15/09  06:27pm

SinisterSerpents
View Profile

Message To: Eekster   In reference to Message Id: 1986439

Im also looking for a 06-07 male monocled morph to stud my leucistic female this upcoming season. I hope i spot a 100% het formosa or a cheap sunset at the upcoming reptile shows. Ham 4/25 carlisle 5/16. Will you be attending? I might settle for any male monocled thats of breeding age at this point.

I have my eye on a 07 sunset female but the price is a bit steep. Since ive been laid off i dont have much for disposable income. But i have a feeling my snake addiction will get the best of me in the end. A 07 Female sunset would be a perfect additon to my Kaouthia collection.

I may take you up on some b/w spitter babys if your female drops some. I have high hopes that my Atheris Nitschei will drop some viable offspring this year.

Ill deff stay in touch with you in the future. It sounds like we are keeping the same things as far as elapids go. I have 1.1 08 naja pallida. 1.1 07 naja siamensis (black phase) and those Kaouthia you saw when you were over (more Kaouthia to come if all goes well). Since you are so close by if either of us is in need of a stud it will be easy enough to lend a helping hand... Or hemipenes lol

04/15/09  07:05pm

Eekster
View Profile

Message To: SinisterSerpents   In reference to Message Id: 1986476

That’s funny lol

I will be at hamburg but what is the other show?

04/15/09  08:31pm

SinisterSerpents
View Profile

Message To: Eekster   In reference to Message Id: 1986539

The central pa reptile expo. 5/16/09 this will be the first show where they will allow venomous. Ive never been to this show befor but since they are starting to allow venomous i intend to stop by and check it out. Its in carlisle, Pa which is up route 83. Alot closer than hamburg. But the first show might be a let down. But then again you never know.

04/15/09  09:56pm

Eekster
View Profile

Message To: SinisterSerpents   In reference to Message Id: 1986617

That is awesome it’s only 30 minutes from my house give or take.

Definately checking it out.

Hey if you come across any albino burms keep me in mind I see a lot of them posted forsale up you way. I need another male and female.

Eric

04/16/09  01:20am

Eekster
View Profile

Message To: SinisterSerpents   In reference to Message Id: 1986617

That is awesome it’s only 30 minutes from my house give or take.

Definately checking it out.

Hey if you come across any albino burms keep me in mind I see a lot of them posted forsale up you way. I need another male and female.

Eric

04/16/09  01:21am

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Eekster   In reference to Message Id: 1986755

The Carlilse show sucks, plain and simple.

It is pretty small and is just going to end up hurting hamburg.

04/16/09  10:39am

SinisterSerpents
View Profile

Message To: RePtiLOVER   In reference to Message Id: 1986904

Ive never been to carlisle. But i think hamburg is the best show on the east coast i think carlisle wont hurt it. it will just help local breeders out a little more. I doubt the first hot show will be that great but im gona stop by since its so close and maybe ill get some good deals from people just trying to cover their table expenses

04/16/09  03:14pm

Eekster
View Profile

Message To: SinisterSerpents   In reference to Message Id: 1987070

I have to check out the carlise show just cause.
As far as hurting the hamburg show I doubt it, maybe it will thin the heard of spectators.

Besides they cram shows in like last year and they will hurt themselves, it was getting ridiculous seemed like they were every month and the vendors had the same animals.

04/16/09  10:06pm

SinisterSerpents
View Profile

Message To: Eekster   In reference to Message Id: 1987336

LOL Ya seriously let it hurt hamburg. Im tiered of being so cramped up in that feild house that i cant even scratch my a$$.

The only way to do hamburg is to get there early like 8:00am with vendor passes. Look at everything and get what you want then leave befor the doors even open. Then walk to the end of the seemingly endless line of people waiting to get in and offer up your vendor passes and see who dosent want to wait in line for an hour the most. lol

04/17/09  01:20am

Eekster
View Profile

Message To: SinisterSerpents   In reference to Message Id: 1987424

The thing I like is these people that talk so much crap about Hamburg, especially on one other forum, then they praise it on another and never miss a show. This is not aimed at anyone that posted on this thread just an observation.

I hear how terrible and careless the vendors are at hamburg, selling to minors and all that, then I hear about minors dying due to elapid bites yet I have never heard of any minors or adults dying in Pa due to venomous snake bites. Odd they have this info and I never see it in the papers or news. I realize people have died in pa from venomous snakes but they make it out like it happens monthly.

Guess hamburgs not all bad considering it’s been there for so many years.

My only complaint is the spectators that bring 3-5 kids along plus strollers. The place is not a zoo but is often used a one.

Enough of my rant lol

Eric

04/17/09  01:53am

Tylerrobey30
View Profile

Message To: Eekster   In reference to Message Id: 1986752

i have a male albino burm im looking to get rid of. great snake, very tame actually never been bit. i love boas and willing to trad for other snakes. im asking 150 cash or best offer. u can reach me at 513 607 1195 thanks i hoped i have helped

01/31/11  10:35am

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area