Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

Reddcatt   Funky munky   FishMich   Reddcatt   BigBend66   Reddcatt   Adzscott   Reddcatt   Chris78   Reddcatt   CelticTigeress   Reddcatt   Okeetee Man   Reddcatt   Warlock   Sam Roadrunner   Sam Roadrunner   Reddcatt   Sam Roadrunner   Reddcatt   Jonathan_roadrunner  
 Member  Message

Reddcatt
View Profile

How to keep copperheads away..?

hello..i was wondering if anyone could please give me advice about how to keep copperheads out of my yard? a few years ago,one killed my dog. and recently,past couple years.. it seems i have seen more of them than i use to..my son said he saw a snake few weeks ago...he said it wasnt a gartner..and that whatever it was it had yellow on its tail..(which i think is baby copperhead)..under my deck. i REALLY dont want to kill them...even if i say i do..lol.. i know they are just trying to survive like any animal...but i cant risk family or pets..so..is there any way to make them go away? thanks ,wendy

09/18/07  11:57pm

Funky munky
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1448828

move

LOL

09/19/07  12:59am

FishMich
View Profile

the best thing to do is keep your yard well maintained. make sure the grass is cut and the weeds or brush is kept to a minimum. if you have any wood or brush piles nearby, you should get rid of them. the idea is to eliminate places for them and their prey to hide. they are their because its a nice place for them to eat and feel safe, you must take the food and the shelter away. by the way, thank you for taking this approach rather than killing them.

09/19/07  10:37am

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: FishMich   In reference to Message Id: 1449079

thanks for responding...its hard to do all u say because..where i live..well, my backyard abuts a hill and woods..then there is some water at the bottom of the hill... so i think they live there,,by water...and i think they wanna eat my garters..the meanies!! i have quite a few garters that live in my yard..but espically by my house foundation..they(garters) like to live under my deck..which is connected to my foundation and my dog pen...i see them quite alot.(garters)..but found a copperhead in there before..must of been trying to eat the garters.((this was after one already killed my dog..and before i knew we even had them.)).theres really no brush piles in my yard..and grass is short..but i do have some rock walls... so its hard for me to eliminate spots for them.. my foundation, under my deck..i gotta keep those..lol...and i like the garters..dont wanna get rid of them..and like my son told me..he thought he saw one going under the deck couple of weeks ago...and i now have 2 dogs..both saint bernards..but one is only 13 weeks old... iím scared of him gettig bit..and iím not crawling under there!! lol...are there any snake reppelents?? that wont get rid of the garter snakes? or do those things even work?..if not i may take other guys advice and MOVE!!..LOL.. but they would probably find me ! lol..i think why i am seeing more of them now os because..well to make a long story short...my mother used to live here..she hates snakes..she would aalways pour gas down this one hole by foundation..to kill the garters..(sick..i know!) but since shes been gone..i wont do that..i like garters...so maybe there are more garters around now?? and they are coming up to feed?? i dont know..i just worry about my family and pets..as i already lost a dog to them..so snake repelents? thanks again..wendy

09/19/07  09:51pm

BigBend66
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1449910

OR, get an outdoor cat. Snakes hate them and steer far away from them.......

09/21/07  03:35pm

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: BigBend66   In reference to Message Id: 1451877

LMAO...then my kitty would die!! ..lol..iíll just move..lol

09/21/07  06:40pm

Adzscott
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1452090

NOt sure if its true but I heard about something called a "snake buster"

Apparently it makes a smell that keeps snakes away.

09/27/07  03:26am

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: Adzscott   In reference to Message Id: 1458950

ok..thanks..iíll check into it..wendy

09/27/07  05:06pm

Chris78
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1459476

Moth Balls have been known to work in the past..

09/27/07  11:21pm

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: Chris78   In reference to Message Id: 1460051

really?? huh...thats interesting...like sprinke them where i think they are coming from??.or are u snake people pulling my leg??..wendy

09/28/07  12:03am

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1460117

Talking about smells and cats...

Empty your litterbox around the peremiter of your yard.... it wont kill you smell wise but it tends to keep various animals away...

09/28/07  10:06am

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 1460387

..ok thanks celtic...good idea..maybe if the snakes smell the cats....? they wont come around..thanks!!

09/28/07  01:50pm

Okeetee Man
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1460619

WENDY!!! what really good is tossing moth balls under the deck and all around the yard it really does work!!! i got timbers out of my yard by doing this hope it helps!!!

10/01/07  12:37am

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: Okeetee Man   In reference to Message Id: 1463711

thank you very much!!!! i am gonna try it tommorow..thanks..wendy

10/01/07  01:26am

Warlock
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1463748

I know this is an old thread but I came back looking for it. sorry if I am to late. I was just cruising internet and ended up on midwesttongs.com and they have a item there called snake away. says it repels venomous and non venomous snakes for 2 months. hope this helps

11/01/07  08:22pm

Sam Roadrunner
View Profile

Message To: Warlock   In reference to Message Id: 1498015

This spring I did some work at a boys camp that is being restored in the mountains of WNC. The owner doesnít like snakes and since I had seen several black rat snakes and copperheads, and a friend of mine saw a Timber, the owner wants the snakes away from the area. The best thing I have heard to use to keep snakes away from your home is moth balls. You can generally find these at lowes and just spread them around the house and yard or wherever your son may play. They will move on.

11/01/07  10:51pm

Sam Roadrunner
View Profile

Message To: Sam Roadrunner   In reference to Message Id: 1498276

Warlock is right too. There is a product called snake away that will work as well as the moth balls.

11/01/07  10:53pm

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: Sam Roadrunner   In reference to Message Id: 1498278

wow guys!..thanks for responding with info!!....i honestly do appreciate it!...i will do the moth ball thing and check out the other thing also suggested....it means alot that someone EVEN bothered to answer this question....i DONT want to kill these snakes when i see them.((.i actually...lol...BEFORE i knew there were copperheads, and that was what killed my dog (never knew we had them in mass)i had one in my dog pen,about a foot and 1/2 long.... wasnt sure what it was..but wasnt worried about it being venomus,(DUH)..it was real grumpy and coiled and tried to strike,,so iím talking to it,,like the croc hunter..(stupid...corny...i know..lol)....saying it was a grumpy girl..etc...and got my rake and picked it up and put it out of the pen.(where was my chicken butt husband??....behind me!!..lol)..thinking it would run..like every other snake i have seen ...it coiled AGAIN!..the little booger!..my husband went to walk by it..it tried to strike AGAIN!..so i picked him up again with the rake and tossed him down the hill for being so agressive..which suprises me ,because ,since i have found them in my yard, i have tried to learn some about them..i thought they were more the type to run if given the chance...but not this one!)) HEY DOES THAT MAKE ME A HOTS HANDLER NOW!??....(JOKING!! JOKING!!..dont yell at me anyone..;op..).....i want them to live and multiply in my area..(i think...lol)..just not in my yard!!....lol...iím gonna sprinkle the moth balls around my yard and dog pen..and under my deck....my only thing is, i dont want to chase away my garters..or gardners whatever they are called..i like them..but not gonna worry about it....as long as the copper heads stay away....and i can let my kids and dogs and pig in my yard...sorry for babbling on....thanks for the help!...it really means alot to me...truly...wendy

11/04/07  01:31am

Sam Roadrunner
View Profile

Message To: Reddcatt   In reference to Message Id: 1500530

One thing I have learned about the copperheads Wendy is they are territorial. If you run into them, theyíre not afraid to stand their ground unlike rattlers who typically will try to slither off. I got my copperhead into his new cage last night and heís a grumpy one. But I figure after being stuck in a plastic bowl with a lid on it while thousands of people stare at you gives him a good reason. Once heís not as stressed and he gets used to his surroundings heíll adjust. He struck at the side of the cage a couple of times after I got him in. Iím amazed at how fast he moves his head to whichever direction youíre moving. He really can get a bead on and heís very good sized. My guess is heís between 2-3 feet and when I finally left after an hour and came back, he was completely hidden under his hid rock. Iíll try to upload a picture of him soon.

11/04/07  08:47am

Reddcatt
View Profile

Message To: Sam Roadrunner   In reference to Message Id: 1500658

ok...thanks!..i love to see all you guys snakes!..ahh!..so it is normal for them to be grumpy!...alls i know is that now that i KNOW that they are copperheads....iím not picking one up with my rake again!!....lol..iím turning tail..and getting out of there...lol..thanks again..wendy

11/04/07  09:23pm

Jonathan_roadrunner
View Profile

if you cant find it at your local store i have seen it advertised on tongs.com might also find it on king snake.com. we have a creek in our front yard and a few years ago i came in the house to find the wife dancing on a hot stove as i had four of them in the kitchen!!! now she handles them just like i do with a hook or a pair of tongs and just moves them over to the neighbors:D thatís a joke our neighbors are about five miles of woods so thereís plenty of water for them out there . and yes its called snake away hereís the link if i can do this right Link hope this helps

11/10/07  08:30pm

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area