Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jean4150   Sisika   Urojuns  

Member  Message

Jean4150
View Profile

7 month old Uromastyx won’t eat - Need suggestions!

So a couple days ago I purchased a 7 month old Moroccan Uromastyx. They guy who owned him before didn’t know anything about the husbandry and feeding so you can call it a rescue I guess. Long story short I found out this guy was feeding him “Shanghai cabbage” and romain lettuce. I just brought him home a week ago and now I have him on spring mix with endive and lentils, but he doesn’t seem to want it, given the fact that hes used to that terrible diet the previous owner had him on. Do you have any suggestions on getting him on the new and better food? Or will he naturally go for it after a little more settling in.

Thanks,

12/27/17  06:17am

Sisika
View Profile

Message To: Jean4150   In reference to Message Id: 2321680

Congratulations on your new little guy. He sounds cute. Sometimes I put treats on top of my guys salad to entice them. Peas are a strong favorite, I often give a sprinkle of dried ones but fresh shelled is their favorite. There are lots of good foods you could offer, just like people they each might have their own favorites. Grated Sweet potato, grated carrots, blue berries, strawberrys, raspberrys, bok choy, kales, chards, dandelion greens, green beans, squash, pumpkin, bananas, radicchio and escarole are some good ones to also try. There are also some dried treats you could try, mine love this one: Zilla Reptile Food Munchies Vegtable Mix. Just keep offering him good food and give him time, he’ll eat something. If you are still having trouble getting him to eat you might also check his temperature and basking spot. I believe you can find a comprehensive care sheet on this sight that might be helpful.
Glad you’re taking such good care of your little guy! Hope he eats well soon!

01/12/18  03:41pm

Urojuns
View Profile

Message To: Sisika   In reference to Message Id: 2321742

They usually need time to adjust to the new place. Most of the times they won’t eat when they are located to a new place and are stressed. Another possibility maybe because of the temperature and humidity. Make sure you have the basking zone around 40~45 C degrees. It helps them become active and move around and scavenging. Don’t handle them for few days and just leave the food in the morning and check if the food is gone at night. always give your pets space and time when they first move in. ^^

05/13/18  05:49am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area