Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Xena23   Xena23  

Member  Message

Xena23
View Profile

Rock fell on lizard?

Hi all; first time posting here.

I came home today from running an errand and found that a rock had fallen on top of my Mali, Izzie. It didn’t fall very far (probably less than an inch) and is lightweight (barely over one pound). I would post a picture but I am without a cellphone right now. He didn’t seem very bothered by it but I don’t know how long he was sitting under it. I was gone about an hour and a half. He’s somewhere between 11 and 13. I’ve had him for 8 years and he was in bad health (severely underweight, broken toe, impaction) when I got him so I tend to worry. This has never happened before and the only thing I can think is that I didn’t take the time to secure it properly when I cleaned it off. He’s shedding and probably tried to rub his head against the bottom of it as he has always done.

I’m not sure if it’s obvious but I also have a bit of an anxiety disorder so I’m, well, anxious lol. I guess the question I’m trying to ask is what should I look out for in terms of injuries beyond the obvious? The rock was sitting a little below his neck on his back. I’m worried it could have hit him in the head or neck. I didn’t get a good look at him before he went into his hide but he’s not dragging his legs and there is no blood to be seen anywhere.

If y’all want, here’s the answers from the PLEASE READ post:

The tank is 48 x 24 x 25.

I’m not sure of his size and I’m not going to yank him out of his hide to get precise measurements, but he is undersized for his age.

He’s always by himself in the tank.

Hot end 103, cool 79 atm. Not 100% on the basking spot but I can dig up the little doodad if you really need to know.
He’s got a brand new (replaced today) Powersun UV bulb for basking

Food endive + escarole + sometimes red bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, and very occasional snap peas that he loves more than life itself.

His tank has mixed substrates; it’s mostly rock, some paper towels (around food area), and a small amount of sand (NOT calcium).

He likes to bask in the morning, then he eats most of his food (he leaves some for snacking on throughout the day) and then run around the rest of the day with some periodic basking which increases in length when it gets close to bed time.

He went a bed a little early today by an hour or two.

He’s only removed from the tank when I do a full clean which has not happened recently. I only had to clean his rock because he stepped in his poo and left some on the rock.

He has not been to the vet recently but he does have some previously diagnosed "blister" issue where excess skin seems to build up in the same place every year over the winter. It has happened since I first got him. It doesn’t affect his eating. The vet said if and only if it started affecting his health should we try to get rid of it.

I will take him to the vet ASAP if he has symptoms but my usual vet is closed and the emergency way overcharges.

If I’m just being melodramatic, please let me know. Like I said, I worry a lot.
Many panicked thank yous.

05/18/17  05:35pm

Xena23
View Profile

Message To: Xena23   In reference to Message Id: 2320677

Rock fell on lizard?

Undersized lengthwise. He’s a good weight for his length, according to the vet.

05/18/17  05:39pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area