Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Member  Message

Blake18
View Profile

Just bought Ornate Uro pair BUT....

I’m new to Uros. I just bought a pair (male and female) from a lady that lives near me along with the tank she was keeping them in and all the supplies. She’s had them for just under 2 years and she thinks they’re about 2 and a half years old. They’re about 10 inches long each. I was actually surprised to see what she had been keeping them in for the last 2 years. She has them in a 55 gallon fish tank (48X12X19) and has no UV lights. Just a spotlight in the middle of the cage. She said she gives them their other vitamins with supplements (calcium and d3). They’re also on wood chip substrate which I was surprised by, but she just did this recently. She said before she had them on millet, but one of the seeds got in the female’s eye and now it’s swollen and infected so she switched them to bark. The female’s eye is still a bit swollen and red and she constantly has it closed. Other than that, they both seem really healthy. They’re eating fine, they come out and bask and are very active. They’re sleep schedule is normal, I’m just worried that they’re health could go downhill if I don’t start improving their environment (even though they’ve been there for 2 years. I just want to make sure). Where do I start? Should I switch the substrates first? Tank size for the pair? Was she right about the UV lighting? Are they really okay with just getting d3 through supplements? Because I’ve actually heard that from multiple sources. And last but not least, where do I start with the eye? I’m taking her to the vet next week but the lady I purchased her from said her eye has been healing for ONE MONTH. IN the mean time is there something I can rinse the eye with? Sorry to blast you guys with so many questions. Just want to make sure I do all this right so that they’re nice and healthy. I know some people are probably going to be pretty mad i got these guys in this condition, but that’s why I’m here. I’ve done quite a bit of research but need help to make sure I do it right the first time. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I’ll post pictures later when I get the chance and actually figure out how to post pictures.

03/03/17  01:19pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area