Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Adebatt   That Uro Guy   Adebatt  

Member  Message

Adebatt
View Profile

Advice on a sick uro

I have a Mali uro that is I believe 3.5 yrs old, I’ve had him for just over a year. We’ve been to the vet twice in 2 weeks because he stopped eating and was acting lethargic. Got some liquid vitamin supplement and baytril antibiotics but still no appetite and acting lethargic still. Second visit confirmed weight loss, and sensitive to touch showed he may be developing softening of bones. He won’t stand like a true lizard, is kind of weak when he walks. We’re now doing injections of a different antibiotic every 3rd day to help. I feel like I’ve been over his set up and diet a thousand times and have no clue what caused him to get sick and if anyone has had any luck getting them back to healthy at this point? I’m a wreck and feel terrible seeing him like this. He usually very mobile and ate really good prior to all this.

09/22/16  03:29pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Adebatt   In reference to Message Id: 2319521

Advice on a sick uro

Sounds like severe MBD or very low calcium levels. But could also be an infection of some sort.

The MBD may be from neglect by previous owners or due to something wrong with your own care. Do you know if the previous owner provided a UV source/do you provide one currently? As this is often the primary cause of MBD, though there are many other dietary factors which could be responsible.

A Calcium deficiency is primarily caused by diet, but there are several other contributing factors to consider. Did the animal lay recently? Have you been providing any form of calcium supplement to the animal? Also a rundown of the general diet you give it would be useful.

An infection is possible though very unlikely and to cause the symptoms described would probably be viral. Consequently I would not think antibiotics to be beneficial at all except to deter any secondary infections and do more to weaken your animals immune system ’kicking it while it’s down’ so to speak than anything else.

Hope he picks up soon.

09/24/16  01:02pm

Adebatt
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2319533

Advice on a sick uro

I do provide the calcium powder on his greens. He’s never been like this until recently. I have a liquid calcium from the get to give him daily now. I can get him to eat in the past couple days of I put food directly in his mouth. But I can see how weak he still is. Thanks for the advice, hope him eating even if I have to feed him directly helps. I put fresh bulbs in, even though they get changed very often. I’m nervous at this point it won’t.

09/26/16  10:31am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area