Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Nicoliosis   Nicoliosis   Nicoliosis  

Member  Message

Nicoliosis
View Profile

Tail broke off; shedding issues?

Hello,

So I am completely shocked by what has happened and I feel terrible. When I checked on my uro last night, I noticed that his tail has snapped off. I will attach a photo once he wakes up, but basically the last two inches of his tail has broken off, but is still hanging by some, well tissue or old shed I guess. No blood. I noticed that he has been having issues shedding so I did some research, and all the sites/posts said not to interfere; no spraying, soaking or picking at the shed. So I didn’t. Now I am assuming his shed cut off circulation to his tail, killing part of it and making it fall off. I noticed the last few rows of spikes on his tail were quite thin, but his tail also looked longer so I thought it might be growing and those were just new rows? I guess not?

Why would this happen? I will attempt to post pics on here of his setup, and the injury once he is out of his cave. Some husbandry details:

-kept on play sand with a DIY "background"
-majority of tank is around 85F, basking level ranges from 95F (farthest from the light) to 125-140F (directly under the light, depending on where I move the thermometer) --> These temps were just taken with a Zoo Med infrared thermometer.
-Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb across entire tank, and inside the tank not on top of the screen
-diet includes mustard greens, collard greens, dandelion greens, spring mix, red leaf lettuce, red and green lentils, and sometimes bird seed, butternut squash, green beans, zucchini, carrot or whatever I have around the house. Recently his diet has mostly been mustard greens, collard greens and nasturtium leaves/flowers all from my garden, but I have been adding in some spring mix or red leaf lettuce every now and again. (I also have a bunch of bearded dragons, so my garden is not quite large enough to feed everyone.) As an example, today I have fed him mustard greens and young collard greens, with some shredded yellow zucchini and a sprinkling of Calcium + D3 (Zoo Med brand). I should note that he likes to dig through his veggies to get to the lentils or seeds, they seem to be his favourites. He also really likes nasturtium flowers.
-Zoo Med calcium + D3 on most meals and Zoo Med Reptivite every now and again
-No water provided or spraying
-He seems stressed out when being held, so we don’t do it very often at all
-I’m probably forgetting things, feel free to ask.

Why would this happen? Is there anything I can do? Is it poor husbandry??

I should also mention that my boyfriend said that when he was touching the half-attached part of tail, the uro did not react at all, so it would seem as though it is not painful. I hope it isn’t :(

I also find it weird that his tail seems to have elongated...like the remaining tail, the part still intact, looks like his regular tail size (before the perma-shed appeared on the tail and "elongated" it).

">

">

">

">

07/18/16  09:27am

Nicoliosis
View Profile

Message To: Nicoliosis   In reference to Message Id: 2319143

">

">

">

">

I must be doing something wrong because I am seeing "This photo is not available at this time" before each photo, but then my photo shows up below it. There should be 8 photos total, 4 in my original post and 4 in this post. Let me know if you can’t see them.

07/18/16  09:47am

Nicoliosis
View Profile

Message To: Nicoliosis   In reference to Message Id: 2319144

Update:

The piece is completely off now. No blood. I applied some Terramycin to the area. He is eating and acting normally. Again, dug through his veggies to get to a few lentils that I had left at the bottom of the dish. Could this be part of the issue? I’m beginning to think he is mostly eating lentils/seeds and just kicking around his veggies to make me think he ate some. He will even dig through the sand looking for any buried lentils. Could this be dehydrating him and causing shedding issues?

07/18/16  10:13am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area