Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

RosieBoa119   ClareWillett   RosieBoa119  

Member  Message

RosieBoa119
View Profile

Saharan Uromastyx Eating Trouble?

1) How long have you owned the animal

I have had him for about a month

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size

58 long x 20 high x 24 deep custom built cage

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal

Saharan Uromastyx. He’s roughly 10’ long from head to tail

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post

Just him. Nothing else.

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured

basking temp is 115. measured it with a digital probe (I cannot afford a temp gun right now but plan on getting one soon) and a stick on thermometer

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.

warm area is 95 measured by a probe and stick on thermometer, cool area is 83 measured the same way as the other temps

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx

I am using a ZooMed 10.0 UVB tube light. Bulb is less than a month old and is mounted in the inside of the wire top securely with butterfly nuts and bolts. Fixture is about 15 inches from the substrate, he climbs on the rocks so obviously he gets close to it

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed

Kale and Collards every day with sprinkles of shredded carrot and broken up grassland tortoise pellets (I’ve read on various sites that they will eat it and it was safe)

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used

No supplements. Got flamed for asking on another forum site saying they weren’t supposed to have them? I get the feeling they’re wrong and i plan on buying some just to have in case.

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand

White calcium sand (Plan on changing it very soon)

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….

When I turn his lights on for the day, he doesn’t move much until i change his water and give him fresh food. He will come out from under his log and sit on it majestically until I’m done. He climbs down and takes his drink of water for the morning and then goes back on his log. He will take naps throughout the day and do his tank scratching, go back to sitting on his log and stare at me. He doesn’t spend much time in his cool end.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.

When I first got him he had no issue eating in front of me, which made me feel better because I know he’s eating. Currently it seems like he is not eating much.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....

The only behavior i have noticed that has changed is his eating. I never see him eat anymore and it seems like his food is untouched. I’m not sure if he’s just eating when i’m not around or not eating at all. He’s still pooping, though!

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.

I handle him every day for about 15 minutes. When not taking him out to hang out, i stroke his back gently or play a game with him in the enclosure. When he’s out, he’s asleep on my chest, head under the hood of my hoodie. I fully support him by cupping his booty and gently hold him to my chest.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was given.

I have taken him to the vet twice and he is very healthy and nothing is wrong with him. He had 3 fecal checks because i’m a paranoid mom, and everything came back good.

*My question and current issue is his eating habits. I am very concerned that I have not seen or have seen evidence of him eating. The only evidence I have is his poop. I’m guessing he wouldn’t be pooping if he wasn’t eating? I’m sure my vet is sick of seeing me by now. I know I need to add more to his diet but I am very limited on my money until the end of the week. I do have fruit such as Grapes (Which is a NO NO for any pet i assume), Watermelon, Lemons, Strawberries and Peaches. I am hesitant on giving him any of those because I have gotten different answers from different sites. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I just a paranoid wuss?

03/30/16  12:35pm

ClareWillett
View Profile

Message To: RosieBoa119   In reference to Message Id: 2317639

For uros all food is universal for every species of uro, however each uro is different and each has their preferred favorite foods. Try feeding him variety of greens such as:
bok choy
squash
zucchini
cactus pears
grapes
blue berries
collared greens
romaine
dandelion and oak leaves
millet seeds.
AVOID CITRUS FRUITS!! It makes them very sick.
If it looks like no food has been touched try experemating with diffrent foods. Sometimes however, they prefer to eat alone especially if your uro is new. Mine always eats alone and he will stop if I walk past his cage.

Uros also don’t poop a whole lot. as long as there is feces in the cage your uro is healthy. Mine usually goes every few days. As long as the feces has no stool or is skinny and dusty, your uro is healthy. If you are still concerned about it try adding calcium supplements to his food once a week. You can find the supplements at your local pet store.

03/31/16  08:37am

RosieBoa119
View Profile

Message To: ClareWillett   In reference to Message Id: 2317646

Thank you very much. I fed him some bok choy and some spring mix I picked up after reading the care sheet on deerfernfarms.com and cut up some yellow squash. I work at a pet store and brought home calcium and multivitamins for him. I hope this works because I need this skinny little man to fatten up! I also fed him some dandilion leaves and left a single flower out and came back and it was gone! So I know he likes those. I will try your suggested food and see how he does. Thank you!

04/07/16  05:23pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area