Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Chefjameshaas   Uromastyxman   Chefjameshaas   Skullkeeper   Chefjameshaas  

Member  Message

Chefjameshaas
View Profile

Uro sleeping all day

Hello everyone,
i just joined this forum and im looking for some advice. i have a yellow niger uro. He eats everyday, he gets supplements and calcium and his substrate is Exo terra’s sand mat. His poop is normal and goes almost everyday. his lighting has UVB and UVA and heat. His warm side is around 115F to 120F and cool side stays around 80F. I have had him for a year and all he does is hide out under his log all day. He comes out to eat and thats it, otherwise hes hiding all the time. Is this normal?
he also dosent like ti be held, hes always trying to run away or tail whips. he dosent like to just chill out with me like my beardie does. Any advice or tios would be very much appreciated. I would love to see him crawling sround and basking and be able to hold him. Thanks!

03/21/16  01:50pm

Uromastyxman
View Profile

Message To: Chefjameshaas   In reference to Message Id: 2317520

Uro sleeping all day

What do you feed him? As for your Uro not liking being held that’s normal. Most Uros don’t like being held. The warm side should not be that hot. That temp would be good for basking temperatures. 95-100 degrees Ferenheit should work for the warm side. What are you basking temperatures right now.

03/21/16  03:14pm

Chefjameshaas
View Profile

Message To: Uromastyxman   In reference to Message Id: 2317521

Uro sleeping all day

I feed him kale, and carrots with fruit sometimes. I sprinkle the calcium and vitamins into of the salad mix. I miss typed, those high temps are the basking spot, the warm side is in the low 90’s and the cool in the 80’s.

03/21/16  05:24pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Chefjameshaas   In reference to Message Id: 2317522

Uro sleeping all day

you should be feeding him a better varied diet like dandelion greens , bok choy ,edible flowers , like hibiscus ,and you can sprinkle a little bee pollen on top but just about a fourth teaspoon . What size tank is he in? Most Uros do not like being handled and will tail whip if frightened.Make sure there are no other pets in the room , and it is peaceful .Try giving him a treat like dandilion flowers when you put your hand on the cage .See if you can first get him to eat out of your hand . Once he starts to trust you and associate your hand with getting a treat then gradually start holding him for short periods of time .Also make sure it is warm in the room.

03/21/16  11:08pm

Chefjameshaas
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2317526

Uro sleeping all day

He’s in a custom built wooden cage. I built it 48in wide by 18in deep by 16in tall. It has great ventilation in the sides. The temperatures are all good and our house never gets below 72F. I’m in the Midwest and don’t have specialty shops, where can I get dandelions when there not in season. And where do i get bee pollen? I can order edible flowers through my job, can they eat any kind of edible flower?

Thanks for the help

03/22/16  09:26am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area