Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DoomPinecone   Takahiro111   DoomPinecone   Takahiro111   DoomPinecone   Skullkeeper   Takahiro111   DoomPinecone   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

DoomPinecone
View Profile

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

1) How long have you owned the animal.
I have two female ornate uromastyx which I’ve had for just over a week.

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size.
It’s 36 inches long, they were previously in a 20 inch long enclosure with nothing more than a food dish. I’m on the lookout for something larger though. They seem to fit fine in it and like it a lot better than they’re old one, but I’d definitely like to upgrade it.

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal.
I was told they’re female ornates, about three years old. I don’t know their weight, but they’re approximately 9 inches long. I’ve been trying to avoid handling them since I got them so I don’t have an exact weight or length.

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post.
The two females are in the same enclosure. As far as I know, they’ve always been together.

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured.
Basking temp. is right around 120. I used a digital thermometer to measure it.

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.
The cool area is about 86 and warm area is about 100. It took some experimenting to get this right in a 36 inch tank (which is partly why I’d like to get them a bigger one). I’ve seen different temperature guidelines though, so any advice in this regard would be much appreciated.

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx.
I was using a 26 watt All Living Things brand UVB bulb, but I’m not currently using it.

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed.
They get a mix of greens everyday with a few lentil seeds. The person I got them from was giving them crickets every day. I’ve heard from others that isn’t good. I gave them a few mealworms the first few days I had them since I didn’t want to suddenly stop giving them animal proteins, but they’re not getting those now. I also gave them a raspberry, which they seemed to like :)

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used.
They’re getting phosphorous free calciul with vitamin D3. Just a very light sprinkle over their greens. I’ve been adding it every day since I stopped using the UVB light.

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand.
They were previously in all peat substrate but the humidity seemed really high (about 60%), so I switched to half sand in their enclosure. Unfortunately that seems to coincide with the eye problems in one of them so I’ve taken out most of the sand and replaced it with bird seed. Once I do another thorough cleaning of their enclosure, I’ll be getting all the sand out.

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….
I’ve only had them a week so I’m still figuring out what their routine is. They seem to have set a bedtime for themselves around 8 or 9. They’re up within about a half hour of me turning their lights on in the morning. Lights are on until they go to their hideout for the night (so about ten hours or so). They’re both fairly active, spend plenty of time basking and running around their enclosure.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.
They’re both eating a decent amount and seem to be pooing regularly.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....
They’re behavior hasn’t changed too much. They’re both fairly skittish, but the one without eye problems has been getting more accustomed to her new surroundings. The other one was, but then became more skittish again once her eye problems started.

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.
I’ve handled them a little bit to move them around and get things situated for them. But I’ve been limiting that as much as possible to let them get settled in. I haven’t handled them at all the past two days.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.
I have not taken them to a vet yet. They were supposedly checked up by a local vet recently before I got them. My original plan was to give them a couple weeks to get settled in and then take them in to the vet for a check up. Since they’re so skittish and they’re rescues, I wanted to try to limit the amount of stress to them. But I’m concerned because one of them seems to be having problems with her eyes. I suspect she got sand in them. The nictitating membrane of one eye seems to be half closed most of the time. On the other eye it appears red and swollen some of the time and half closed the rest of the time. Is there anything I can safely do to help get the sand out? Should I rush her right to the vet? The only reason I haven’t so far is because of how many new, stressful things have been going on in such a short time. I’ll be calling the vet today regardless, but I’m just not sure about setting up an appointment to bring them in.

I have pictures, but unfortunately they won’t upload to this site. I’ll try to get them uploaded and then post them.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

03/21/16  10:36am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: DoomPinecone   In reference to Message Id: 2317513

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

I used tiles which was fine, see a vet asap about her eye. If it wasn’t red and swollen you could’ve just rinse it. Also don’t give animal protein to herbivorous herps.

03/21/16  12:02pm

DoomPinecone
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317514

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

Thanks for the reply :)

I already made an appointment. Her eyes are looking a tiny bit better today, but I still don’t like waiting so I actually called right after I made my original post. They can’t see her until tomorrow afternoon though. Is there anything I could/should do in the meantime to make things a little more comfortable for her? No rinsing then since her eyes are swollen, is what you’re saying? Her actual eyes are not red, the membrane is red. Not sure if that makes a difference at all.

Like I said, I only gave her the mealworms for the first couple of days. I think the person who had her before me was feeding her just lentils and crickets so I didn’t want to switch her diet over too abruptly. During the first four days I had them, I began feeding them greens along with just a couple of mealworms to transition them to a species appropriate diet. Her and her sister are on a vegetarian diet now like she should have been the whole time. However, I don’t think that’s related to her eye issues.

Although they’re my first reptile rescues, they aren’t my first rescues who have come from less than suitable conditions. I also have experience with reptiles in a wildlife rehab capacity. So I’m not a total noob (just mostly one with this particular species ;p).

03/21/16  12:55pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: DoomPinecone   In reference to Message Id: 2317515

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

Just remove any substrate until the eyes are better, I wouldn’t mess with the eye until the vet give further examination and instructions. I wouldn’t bother her either and if possible separate her until she’s well enough. You’re very much welcome, I’m having a bad time with my rescues as well!

03/21/16  01:26pm

DoomPinecone
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317516

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

I’ve been leaving her alone since I figure that’s probably what she wants right now but I hate seeing her poor little eyes like that. It’s probably just worrying me more than it needs to though because she’s still active and eating and showing no other signs of illness or discomfort. Oh well, better to be overly cautious than under I s’pose :p

Thanks again!

03/21/16  01:33pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: DoomPinecone   In reference to Message Id: 2317513

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

I agree remove the sand .Can you hold the Uro and gently pour some Luke warm water over the eye ? I hope you were not using calci sand ? I have always used washed play sand and never had a problem. Have you tried feeding dandelion greens ,boy choy , kale ,and bee pollen ? You can apply a thin coat of antibiotic ointment to the eye with a q tip but only once the sand has been removed

03/21/16  11:15pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 2317527

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

Don’t put anything on the eye until you know what’s going on. Using any meds for unknown medical problems can turn around and bite you....hard, happened to my friend with his african rock python. He gave meds and didn’t have a diagnosis and it went from bad to worse

03/22/16  07:35pm

DoomPinecone
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317531

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

He’s been to the vet. Turns out, she is actually a he (most likely). I was told they were both girls, but apparently that isn’t the case. As for his eyes, she suspected what I did that he got something in them because of the sand. He’s got some eye drops he’ll need twice a day for about a week and then everything should clear up. They both were a bit on the small side for their age too, which I already suspected. The vet thought it was likely because of improper diet and lack of UVB prior to me getting them. So that will no longer be an issue. Other than that, they’re in pretty good shape. All the sand has been removed and his eyes are already looking clearer. I appreciate all the advice :)

03/22/16  07:43pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: DoomPinecone   In reference to Message Id: 2317532

Red, puffy, swollen eyes

I’m happy everything’s well your very much welcome

03/23/16  07:07pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area