Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mhoff   GitaBooks   Blueh  

Member  Message

Mhoff
View Profile

Reintroducing uros

I have two male uros and they have been housed together for over 8 years and have not shown aggression. Recently one had a medical emergency and had to have surgery. They have been separated for 3 weeks and I was given the ok by the vet to reintroduce them. I just reintroduced them once so far and it did not go well. The one who had surgery was very aggressive and the "play date" lasted a couple of minutes and I had to return them to their separate enclosures. Any advice on this process or how long it might take? Or will they never get along again?

02/12/16  03:35pm

GitaBooks
View Profile

Message To: Mhoff   In reference to Message Id: 2317006

Reintroducing uros

I’m glad to hear your uro is feeling better.

The two may continue to be aggressive towards one another, as they likely think of each other as unknown males. However, introduction may be possible by placing their cages near one another so they get use to one another’s scent and then letting them see one another before placing them together in a freshly cleaned cage (so neither feels territorial). However, if they show stress or signs of aggression during this process, it may be best just to keep them separated for good.

Best of luck! : )

02/12/16  07:04pm

Blueh
View Profile

Message To: Mhoff   In reference to Message Id: 2317006

Reintroducing uros

This might not be what you want to hear, but honestly I wouldn’t even try to put them back together. Although uromastyx have been successfully housed together, its really not recommended and very dangerous, especially with two males. Uromastyx, like most other reptiles, are not social creatures. Housing them together causes unnecessary stress on the animals and is all around just not a good idea.

And just because they haven’t shown aggression yet doesn’t mean they never will. Reptiles are unpredictable in the sense that we don’t know what’s going on in their heads. What’s fine one minute might not be the next.

I wish you the best of luck with them, though!

02/24/16  11:38am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area