Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Phil72   Phil72   Takahiro111   Uromastyxman   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Phil72
View Profile

Uro does not eat much and hides

My uromastyx does not eat much and hides for the whole day (as far as I can tell). I know he is going into brumation, but even in the summer he did not eat a lot. Is this normal? Also, what do you guys feed yours? One particular vegetable each day? A mix? Do you leave the leaves whole or chop them up? Here are the questions:

1) How long have you owned the animal: 1 year, 8 months

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size: 36" wide, 16" deep, 18" high

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal: I do not know the species. 8 1/2 inches long, 60 grams

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post: just this uromastyx

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured: Temp gun, will check the temperature tomorrow because his basking bulb has been off for a while now

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.: temp gun, will check cool side temps tomorrow because lights have been off. At 8:30 PM, cool side temp is: 70.9 F. The lowest air temperature measured in the room at night since early December was 61 F (used the min function on a probe thermometer I have on the cage next to this one)

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx: Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent bulb, about 7 months old, 15 inches to uro at lowest spot directly under the bulb, there is a log there as well that would get the uro to 11 inches away, but he (don’t actually know) never goes on it. The 2 inches of the bulb closest to one of the edges are 12 inches from the basking spot.

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed: Summer: dandelion leaves, about 7-10, depending on size, occasionally the yellow flowers. Winter (basically when I do not have any dandelion in my yard): lentils: almost daily, around 25, soaked overnight. I also sometimes buy a $5 tub of spring mix and feed that in the winter instead of lentils.

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used: calcium w/o D3, can’t remember if I ever used it. I am going to try to sprinkle it on once every 3 feedings.

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand: Excavator clay: I did the recommended mixing with water and then let it dry out so that it is now hard, and no longer sand-like.

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot: Summer: Spends most of day on basking spot, eats sometime during that time, not sure when it comes out or goes back into its hide. It is varied, but usually leaves hide between 20 and 120 minutes after 6:40AM (when the lights come on in summer). Winter: Currently I never see my uro out :(

12) Describe your animal’s appetite. Right now, I never see him/her eating. In summer, very varied, eats between 0 and 3-4 3-4" dandelion leaves per day. Seems to like the yellow flowers a lot.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....: Nothing has been changed since I got him from someone else 1 yr and 8 months ago (they said he was eleven months, and they got him from a breeder at 4 months). Uro does not come out or eat

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling. I occasionally remove him from his hide to bask because I get worried that he is dead..., I handled him today to weigh and measure length. I am going to try to weight and measure at the end of every month, so monthly handling, plus occasionally pulling him out of his hide to make sure he’s still alive...

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed. never been to a vet, also don’t have enough money right now to go to a vet.

If anyone can identify my uro, I can try to post some pics tomorrow, if you tell me what parts of him to get a pic of (I don’t know where one would look for good identification, other than skin color, which is almost solid brown. There is a small red mark on each "cheek") Is my setup good? I also think he might be underweight, though he looks like he has big side stomach flab-like things on either side that he spreads out when he basks, because he is only 60 grams. Even my leopard geckos weigh more than that!

01/30/16  06:30pm

Phil72
View Profile

Message To: Phil72   In reference to Message Id: 2316853

Update: Today he has been out since 1 hour ago, and is still out. I think I wasn’t seeing him out because I am gone during the day. I gave put some chopped carrots and chopped spinach in his dish that he has not touched yet.

01/31/16  10:17am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Phil72   In reference to Message Id: 2316853

1) I had mine for 10 years
2) he was in a 6 feet long 4 feet wide 2 feet high custom built cage
3) he was an Egyptian uromastyx can’t remember the weight but he was heavy and was 2 feet long
4) I kept by himself after I removed my Mali uro who was housed with him for the week
5) my gradient temp was 80-100 with a basking spot at 120-130, the cool end 75-80 I used a digital thermometer and temp gun
6) my night temps was 75-80
7) reptisun 10.0 fluorescent bulb is what I used but changed it every 6 months
8) his diet consist of cut/mixed up yellow, red and white flowers, collard greens, dandelion greens, mustard and turnip greens, prepackaged spring mixes, escarole, endive, radicchio, bok choy. I barely feed kale and spinach because they contained calcium-blocking oxalates. I’ll give squash, carrots or sweet potatoes 1x a week in their veggie mix but I’ll use a grater. And lastly I use dry lentils,small bird seed mixes containing safflower, grass seeds. I fed him about 3-4 times a week.
9) I used calcium with D3 and gave 1x weekly and multivitamins
10) I use to use tile for my Mali and Egyptian uro but switched to excavator clay with just a little sand not too much I have to worry about impaction or him eating it.
11) they come out around 11-12 and they normally stay out until the lights go out, they’ll roam a bit, lay under their basking spot or do nothing just stare at you. They go in their hides at 8-9pm when the lights are out

01/31/16  12:39pm

Uromastyxman
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316866

NEVER FEED YOUR UROMASTYX SPINICH
IT IS HORRIBLE FOR THEM. MY OLD UROMASTYX NAMED URO DIED WHEN I ACCIDENTLY GAVE HIM SPINICH.

02/09/16  06:36am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Uromastyxman   In reference to Message Id: 2316963

I been took it out his diet so I put barely but I never knew that, thank you...he died of old age

02/09/16  07:43am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area