Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Blueh   That Uro Guy   Blueh  

Member  Message

Blueh
View Profile

Uromastyx Scale Rot

I recently got a pair of Saharan Uromastyx and when I got them, the male came with what I’m pretty sure is scale rot. The female looks fine and is eating great. The previous owner said that he soaked them quite often, which is what I think this developed from. I know how to treat scale rot, however, my question is should I treat it the same way as I’d treat it for a ball python? I don’t want to make it worse by soaking him in chlorhexidine gluc. or betadine (Like for ball pythons?). It’s in no way severe. Just a few discolored scales on his back and near his right shoulder. They don’t bother him at all and he seems perfectly healthy otherwise.
Thoughts?

11/08/15  02:58pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Blueh   In reference to Message Id: 2315603

Uromastyx Scale Rot

If it is only a few discoloured scales I would be far more inclined to attribute it to a healed burn or merely a stuck scale from a previous shed. Try gently rubbing mineral oil into the areas, if it is stuck shed this should remove it. The bathing does raise some concern though. But scale rot predominantly occurs on the tails of these animals (and is such dubbed tail rot) since droplets tend to linger in the scutes between the whorls. Monitor it, keep it dry and make sure the temperatures are good. If you see no development in it the infection has likely been killed and will no longer pose a threat. (the animal will be left with some permanent disfigurement though) I am sure you are already aware but never soak them unless absolutely necessary, so if you wish to apply a treatment I would recommend swabbing some of it on to the affected areas with a cotton bud. But again I would be inclined to monitor it for now the chances are that it is just some stuck shed or that if it is in-fact scale rot it will solve itself if good husbandry is provided. If it does start to develop then some form of treatment would obviously be required.

11/14/15  09:27am

Blueh
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2315713

Uromastyx Scale Rot

I’ll see if I can upload pictures later, but thank you for your answer! I was going to wait until he started to shed again and see if it went away before taking them to the vet but this lessened my worries a bit.

His tail is fine; no discoloration or anything rough. I’ve been keeping them as dry as possible and only giving them water once a week (since they’re used to having water once a week. I’m trying to wean them off of it). I’ve been monitoring the areas, but so far they haven’t changed at all. Not growing nor lessening.

But yes! I don’t bathe any of my uros. I know that its bad for them. I’ll try what you suggested, thank you so much for your answer!

11/17/15  08:54am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area