Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

FL Mach 1   Cphill58   FL Mach 1   FL Mach 1   Cphill58   FL Mach 1   Cphill58   Uromastyxman  

Member  Message

FL Mach 1
View Profile

New Uro in his new habitat

So I posted the middle of last week about rescuing a Uro and I finally finished his new habitat on Friday and after getting the lighting going and checking my temps we were able to introduce "Lucky" to his forever home yesterday

1) How long have you owned the animal
5 days

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size
48"Lx18"Wx21"H
3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
I believe he is a Saharan but I"ll try to attach some pictures. He is just shy of 9" and weighed in at the vet at 88 grams (seems a underweight to me, let me know)

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
Just Lucky

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
125-130 measured with IR thermometer

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.
102 hot side temps and cool side temp is 88 measured with digital thermometer

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
Megaray 160W on the way

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
Escarole, collard greens, butternut squash, a little yellow squash with some millet mixed in fed daily

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used
No supplements at this time

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand
Washed play sand with some larger egg rock mixed in

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….
Not much of a daily routine yet. This morning he came out from his hide sometime after 10 am but was back in the hide before we got home which was around noon. About half an hour later he came out made the rounds around his habitat and was out for a few hours and went back in his hide around 5. The first day we put him in he stayed out of the hide but did a lot of investigation and basking. I haven’t timed him on the basking spot but he is usually up there multiple times when his out of his hide. He has two hides one on the hot side and one on the cool side. He seems to prefer the hot side hide more right now.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.
When we first got him he at a few pieces of collard green by hand but since then he hasn’t eaten alot. He has eaten some seed but I haven’t caught him eating in his new habitat yet.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.
I limit the amount of handling and interaction with him right now since he is probably pretty stressed about being turned loose, caught and now living in his new habitat

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.

He has been to the vet and had a fecal check done. Fecal check was done this past Thursday 9-24-15. The vet did not find any medical conditions.

Here is the story behind Lucky the Uro.
He was found in a warehouse by the husband of a friend of my wife. A few days before that another Uro was found in the same general area and rescued by another person. The person who rescued the other Uro thinks he knows where they came from and he has had multiple rescues, not Uros, from this person who either just lets reptiles go or doesn’t care if the get out. A real responsible indvidual.

Anyway, Lucky was found in a warehouse and take home by my wifes friend’s husband but they have no experience with reptiles. We don’t have any experience with Uro’s but do have quite a bit of experience with rescuing Iguanas, we have 3 rescued Iguanas. Two females, 20 yrs and 4 yrs and male, 7 yrs. So my wife volunteered us to take Lucky the Uromastyx.

Normally I would have had a habitat ready before I brought him home but that wasn’t an option this time. I picked up an aquarium from craiglist, and later found out that my neighbor has a 72x18x18 in his backyard that he would have let me have. This is what his habitat looks like

Here are some pictures of Lucky when we got him on Tuesday and when he went into his habitat on Saturday

And here are a few of him his new home

Other than limiting my interactions with him what else can I do to make his transition into his new habitat as easy on him as possible? He has eaten some since we first got him, he ate a few pieces of collard greens from my wife’s hand and I have caught him eating some seeds but not much else that I have seen. At what point to I worry about him not eating? To me he looks a little thin compared pictures of other Uros I have seen. What can I do help stimulate his appetite?

Any ideas, comments or concerns are greatly appreciated since this is all about keeping Mr Lucky happy in his new forever home

09/27/15  07:34pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: FL Mach 1   In reference to Message Id: 2315029

I think you are doing a great job... he does look a little thin and or dehydrated. you can offer some treat type fruit to get the hydration up such as Cactus Prickly pear... even grapes and watermelon butternut squash grated after peeled.

After a good steady diet and your care he / she will bounce back in a couple of months

10/10/15  11:49am

FL Mach 1
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315159

Wife here :-) Lucky seems to be adjusting well. He is now an eating machine - to the point that our vet said to limit him to 1/2C a day. He’s eating escarole, yellow squash, butternut squash, endive, collard greens and millet. I’ve only filled the seed bowl once - he seems to do more digging in it than eating, but it’s also seen in his poop so he is eating some of it. The ’wet’ food is always gone, or nearly gone now. He is still spending a lot of time in his warm hide, but he comes out first thing in the morning when the lights come on (timer). We have the window blinds closed and the other 3 sides of the tank are covered by a sheet so he does see us as we come and go past the doorway to "his room". He is frequently out when we sneak in to peek at him. He is now at 100g. I have handled him a couple of times, for less than 5 min - just to check out all his parts and make sure he’s ok. For the most part he’s left to his own.

Here are some updated photos

10/11/15  06:27pm

FL Mach 1
View Profile

Message To: FL Mach 1   In reference to Message Id: 2315179

Oops.

"We have the window blinds closed and the other 3 sides of the tank are covered by a sheet so he does see us as we come and go past the doorway to "his room". "

so he does NOT see us come and go, blah blah ;-)

10/11/15  06:31pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: FL Mach 1   In reference to Message Id: 2315180

That’s great ...!! I’m very happy to hear of the food items you mentioned ...you are doing great

I am going to offer you a food chart from a bearded dragon website ...please disregard any insects on the list ...it is for the veggies and Ca:P ratios I can also cross reference and herbivore Iguana chart as well if you like.

Again the goal is information not dictating

Beautiful Dragons

Green Ig Society

Beautiful Euro ...excellent job

If you need any suggestions for UVB lighting or inexpensive heat lamps just ask

10/12/15  11:01am

FL Mach 1
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315183

Good on UVB - he’s got a Mega-Ray 160 Link The guy that makes them happens to live like 1 town over from our vacation home.

10/13/15  04:46pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: FL Mach 1   In reference to Message Id: 2315196

Thats Bob Mac... great guy ...lol
Fantastic lamps

10/15/15  11:56pm

Uromastyxman
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315235

Looks like a great size for your Uro second pictures. You seem to be taking great care of him. I would recomend you use Millet seed for your substrate. The can burrow in it. Its easy to clean/sift and if they accidently swallow it it can’t harm them. Just make sure he is not snacking on the seed instead of his greens.w

12/09/15  08:10am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area