Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rolltide_ally_the ur   Cphill58   Rolltide_ally_the ur  

Member  Message

Rolltide_ally_the ur
View Profile

Help my baby uro

OK
so I have a uro that I have had now for about a month she is NOT a captive bred uro. when my fiancé and I purchased her we def had done a lot of research on the breed before we brought her home. we set her up in a smaller 20gal tank for two weeks bc we were in he process of switching our large male beardie into a 75 gallon and her into is 40gal breeder. successfully we moved both over with no issues. with that being said "ALLY" is our uros name. ally is se up with the 40 breeder with a millet seed substrate (yes I know everyone has their personal opinion o substrate this is what I have decided to go with so please don’t bash me on it bc it has worked well for her and keeps humidity way down) and went really fancy and made her an excavator clay den/ burrow area on her cool side of the tank. now I have only had her only about a month, yes I know changing a tank twice can be stressful. but with that we do NOT handle her unless its absolutely necessary. the first three weeks she was skiddish but not too jumpy she would bask eat use the restroom ect. but this past week she made a burrow in the clay and I have not seen her since. NOW im not an expert BUT I will say everyone u talk to or read about seems to say something different. so we went ahead and got another one that she actually came with that also is not captive bred. they still had her at our place that we have grown fond of. hoping that it was a "heard" mentality and bc she is wild and was the last in her eyes by adding another of the same species that came with her may alleviate some of her stress. AND...... NOTHING she will not come out to eat bask or anything and if stress is the cause the last thing I want to do is pull her out of her safe place. temps are perfect in the tank. humidity is great. my fiancé and I are temp and tank Nazis so it has to be perfect or its changed to make it perfect. she is shedding however. but I don’t believe that would cause this kind of withdrawn behavior.... so anyone have this problem? had this problem? or any suggestions as far as possibly coming to a solution any advise is gratefully appreciated :)

08/10/15  04:32pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Rolltide_ally_the ur   In reference to Message Id: 2314524

Help my baby uro

Shedding may in fact cause this issue... in the wild they hunker down in the burrow to retain humidity and make the shed an easier process. If you are saying the Uro is wild caught ...then this is exactly my opinion.

Just be patient ...wait for the shed ...if the shed gets stuck apply any vegetable or baby oil mineral oil to the difficult areas...tips of tails and toe nails etc.

It is a safe practice with all our herps to apply an organic oil to stubborn areas or stuck shed. Just a dab from your fingers goes a long way. With the iguana and bearded dragons I massage it in. But they do not reside on a substrate that will stick to the skin either...so think about that .... the millet could possibly stick to the Uro.

08/10/15  06:43pm

Rolltide_ally_the ur
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314526

Help my baby uro

We ended up taking her out of her burrow and making it a tunnel they are both skiddish it’s sad :( bc they are beautiful lizards and we love them alot we just wish they were more trusting of us like our beardie. I think it’s gonna be a game of patience as far as the skiddish behavior goes and maybe a room where there is less traffic to reduce un needed stress bc right now they are in the living room maybe moving them to our room will help they will still see us and the kids but it won’t be such a bust stressful area

08/13/15  08:53pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area