Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Samanthajames   Cphill58   That Uro Guy   Cphill58   That Uro Guy   Cphill58   Uromastyxman  

Member  Message

Samanthajames
View Profile

What kind of uromastyx do i have?

I adopted a 6 year old uromastyx recently and I would like to get another one to live with it so it may have a companion if come across another one to adopt but I wanted to find out what kind of uromastyx I have first and if the type is particularly territorial (it would also be nice to know if it’s size/weight is normal) lizard image

07/23/15  11:35am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Samanthajames   In reference to Message Id: 2314295

My guess...egyptian

http://www.arkive.org/egyptian-spiny-tailed-lizard/uromastyx-aegyptia/image-G46787.html

07/26/15  04:06pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314333

That is a female yellow phase U.Geryi or Saharan Uromastyx and a rather fat one at that... Not an Egyptian uromastyx or U.Aegyptia as otherwise suggested. These animals are not communal and do not live in defined groups as such. From the studies i have read (there are very few of these about and access-able on the internet in English) and information i have managed to obtain this is what i have gathered:

In the wild, by the most part (species dependent etc...) they live in loose colonies or groups of animals, which each have their own individual burrow which they strictly do not share (under no circumstances do adult animals share a burrow and hatchlings leave after 3/4 days). Groups or colonies of animals generally do not function as a unit with the animals dispersing to feed (ranging large distances) then returning to their respective burrows to bask and sleep etc...

In captivity this translates to co-habitation being difficult and definitely not for the animals benefit in most cases (in anything smaller than a 6ft vivarium as a general rule). This is because you are forcing the animals to share an enclosed space which is against their natural instinct which always leads to a more dominant animal therefore stressing out the subordinate animal. This does not mean cohabitation is impossible in anything smaller than a 6ft vivarium in fact far from it, but that as a general rule it will be impact negatively upon the animals quality of life not enrich it.

Just as an extra note, i stated earlier that the animal looks rather overweight (a surprisingly common problem in captive animals), and like in humans this can cause various health complications as well as negatively affecting the quality of life of the animal. The best way to try and counteract this is to monitor the diet carefully and encourage exercise by giving it a larger enclosure (nothing is too big but a minimum is a 4 by 2 by 2 for a U.Geryi) and letting it out in a secure room to run about supervised for short periods of time when possible, make sure there is nothing they can get under and be very careful with and around radiators which they are surprisingly efficient at getting up, for obvious reasons (putting out a hid or two in the room for the animal to use instead if ti feels like it needs the security is also beneficial)... -(after a few times being let out the animal will start to tell you when it wants to come out and one of mine has also learnt to walk up to me, look up expectantly and then climb onto my hand when she wants to go back in). To try and tailor the diet to weight loss, limiting protein heavy foods such as pulses and peas, as well as cutting back overall food intake slightly is the best way i know of. -Being careful not to cut it back too much (making sure the base of the tail remains plump which means the animals food reserves are intact is a good way to prevent this).

If you want any tips on husbandry, diet etc... I’ll do my best to address any questions you have, but i will aim to get a basic care sheet up soon.

08/04/15  02:27pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2314459

Thanks for the correction Uro Guy. and the info ...the page has really died down somewhat and I just felt badly that no one qualified is around to answer.

Trying to fill in the gaps with the limited info / experience I have.

08/06/15  01:36am

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314480

Yeah for a long while this place was sustained by vers alone really, and now he no longer frequents the forum it has practically died off... A few years ago this was the best uromastyx forum around, it is shocking to see how far it has declined. Maybe it will perk up again in time, who knows?

08/06/15  08:23am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2314482

I really do hope it does perk up....with you in here there is hope.

With me ...well I just hope i dont chase anyone off...LOL

08/10/15  06:46pm

Uromastyxman
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314528

saharan uromastyx yellow

12/09/15  08:15am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area