Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Saintspooky   Littlefooturo   Saintspooky   That Uro Guy   That Uro Guy   Saintspooky   Cphill58   That Uro Guy   Cphill58   That Uro Guy   Cphill58   Uro_Master   Uro_Master  

Member  Message

Saintspooky
View Profile

Identify my uromastyx

New owner. I got this uromastyx from some one and the poor thing came in a dirty, dusty tank. The first day was rough but today after switching the substrate, recieving some fresh greens and a short bath, it seems happier. :)

Thanks for looking.

06/19/15  10:14pm

Littlefooturo
View Profile

Message To: Saintspooky   In reference to Message Id: 2313968

Identify my uromastyx

I’m not a huge Uro expert but it looks like a Mali. They are the most common. I have one too!

06/21/15  05:16pm

Saintspooky
View Profile

Message To: Littlefooturo   In reference to Message Id: 2313992

Identify my uromastyx

Thanks! That’s what i was told just making sure because i was also told it’s about 6 years old but it seems fairly small. hmm.

06/21/15  09:47pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Saintspooky   In reference to Message Id: 2313995

Identify my uromastyx

Juvenile Mali maybe 6-8 months at a rough guess

08/04/15  07:27pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Saintspooky   In reference to Message Id: 2313995

Identify my uromastyx

I just noticed, why is it in water in a bath tub? You should never bathe your uro it is one of the worst things you can do... Bathing is the number one cause of Tail and Mouth rot in Uromastyx, as well as being responsible for a large number of respiratory infections. They do not need to drink not to mention submerge in water, stuck shed should be removed with mineral oil and hydration done by spraying greens and injections/syringe feeding in severely dehydrated animals. Please do not bathe your Uro again.

08/04/15  07:31pm

Saintspooky
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2314466

Identify my uromastyx

If you read my post you would have noticed sooner. He came in a filthy tanky had dirt caked on his face , his eyes were irritated and fecal stuck to his tail. He actually drank some water, seemed to perk up. I dried him off extremely well. I’m aware bathing is a concern. Thanks for your concern though. He’s doing great now since I’ve gotten him! He’s housed on seeds, sandstone den, fresh veggies every day, vitamins weekly, brand new lights, he’s quite spoiled. I swear he eats better than I do.

08/10/15  01:05am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Saintspooky   In reference to Message Id: 2314523

Identify my uromastyx

good job Spooky.... best of luck with him

08/10/15  06:45pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314527

Identify my uromastyx

Bathing is NEVER a solution with these animals. As i have already said mineral oil can be used to remove stuck shed and fecal matter though this will normally clear up on its own with the first shed anyway. Hydration in dehydrated animals as i also said can be easily achieved via spraying greens before they are fed. Bathing is not merely a concern it severe malpractice which can result in serious complications (especially if any water enters the nostrils or is left on the animal). eye irritation/objects on the eye can be attempted to be removed by very carefully using a damp tissue to try and draw off the offending object(s).

I don’t mean to offend by continually stating these things , but you didn’t seem to comprehend that what you did was not the correct course of action and it is important, in case a similar situation arises in the future or somebody else reading this thread encounters one, that the matter is clarified.

It is good to hear ’he’ is on the mend, (looks like a female from head structure and body shape to me but can’t say for sure) the animal looks reasonably healthy in the photos if a little stressed out. (eyes closed and slight inflation) One thing i did notice that may point to it being a WC or CF specimen was that the last segment of the tail looks to be missing which is common among imports. Seeds are not the best substrate material as they can upset the uro’s diet if they snack on the substrate too much (excess protein and a high P:Ca ratio etc..) and the pros and cons are discussed in another thread (i think it is in the urowicki thread where somebody wrote an article for submission into urowicki? think this is the thread:Link). In my opinion the best (and most natural) substrate for Uro’s is a mixture of soil and sand (approx: 70% sand, 30% soil) but there are many options out there ranging from aspen and washed play sand to tile and even Newspaper. If you want i could go through lighting temps diet etc with you but all of that information is readily available within the forum already. (posts by vers are normally very comprehensive and provide good husbandry)

The absence of Urowiki is really starting to annoy me, it was an invaluable resource :/

08/10/15  08:13pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2314539

Identify my uromastyx

what happened to Uro wiki???where/what was the original Link?

08/11/15  08:28am

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314542

Identify my uromastyx

Urowiki is no longer functional apparently, i hadn’t used it for a year or so and a few weeks ago when i tried it the site is down/has been stripped bare. Very unfortunate, but not much we can do about it. I might see if i can get in contact with filecore but i doubt he is still active on the forums at all...

08/11/15  11:45am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2314546

Identify my uromastyx

That’s too bad ...I remember reading from there once upon a time

08/11/15  06:02pm

Uro_Master
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2314466

Identify my uromastyx

This is wrong. No offence but you should bathe your Uro in nearly scalding water from time to time to keep he/she clean. The Uro will try to drink some of the water but keep his head above it. You will notice that he gets fatter by absorbing the water. after he is finished bathing you must wrap him up in a towel. Pay close attention to the tail. As That Uro Guy said, It could result in tail rot. Good Luck!

01/06/16  05:34pm

Uro_Master
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2314548

Identify my uromastyx

Can someone help identify the sex of my Uro? Because I have gone to several website and several extensions say they are not credible. Can you guy’s advise me since you have first hand experience. Thanks!

01/06/16  05:38pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area