Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Nicoliosis   Nicoliosis   Nicoliosis  

Member  Message

Nicoliosis
View Profile

New Uro Owner - Advice/Suggestions Appreciated

Hello! I just got my very first uromastyx a few days ago, on April 13, 2015. I believe she is a female Saharan uromastyx. I am experienced with bearded dragons, but I would appreciate some advice on the uro. I keep finding conflicting information when I try to do some research, so I figured, why not ask the experts!

Here are my answers to the basics, let me know if anything sounds off. Thanks :)

1) How long have you owned the animal

Since April 13, 2015

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size

36lx18wx16h 40 gallon

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal

U. geyri I believe. I haven’t measured/weighed her yet because I don’t want to stress her out too much. I was told she is about 8 months old.

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post

Just her.

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured

Currently at 115.5F using wired probe thermometer. This has been one of the biggest issues so far, getting the temp. high enough!!

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.

Tank ranges from 74F-95F, depending on where in the tank. (excluding basking spot). Measured with digital infrared thermometer. Not sure about night temps, prob low 70’s

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx

New 24" Reptisun 10.0, about 10" away from basking spot.

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed

So far I have been offering a mix of collards/dandelion greens/bok choy/watercress and adding a few soaked red and green lentils. I also offered blueberries but she hasn’t touched anything yet.

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used

Noting yet, but I do have the calcium +d3 as well as multivitamins.

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand

Play sand

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….

The first day we got her she was very active, running all over her tank. Since then she hasn’t come out of her cave. She is in there propped straight up against the side of the wall. I should mention that her basking spot wasn’t even close to hot enough until today.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.

She hasn’t eaten for me yet, but she did have a large appetite before I brought her home. The lady at the pet store said they had to fill her bowl twice a day, and that she was cranky the day I came in because they were out of greens so all she got were carrots. lol Her bowl was full of carrots when I saw her that morning, and the bowl was close to empty when I came that evening to pick her up.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....

I think I have already answered most of this. She is new, so she is settling in. How long does this normally take for Uros?
I also just switched from a 100W to a 200W basking bulb, so her basking spot is now 115.5F- Oh nvm! It is now at 120.2F ! Before I couldn’t even get it over 100F. I also added more sand so I could prop her basking rock up higher (closer to the light).

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.

I haven’t handled her at all since we bought her. Apparently the one lady at the pet store would walk around with her on her shoulder at times, so it sounds like she was handled sometimes.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.

No, neither. She hasn’t left me any fecal presents yet, but when she does I can do a fecal test.

Another question, do Uros poop daily or close to it?

Also, how do I add photos?? I would love to show you her setup so I can get your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any information!!

04/16/15  10:04am

Nicoliosis
View Profile

Message To: Nicoliosis   In reference to Message Id: 2313211

Good news! So it may have been a little mean, but I took the cave out for a few minutes because I wanted her to see that her basking spot is hotter lol. She seems SO much happier now! Going back and forth from basking to running around scratching at the glass. Oh and she pooped! haha and her beautiful colours are back

04/16/15  11:04am

Nicoliosis
View Profile

Message To: Nicoliosis   In reference to Message Id: 2313212

Oh another question...do female uros lay clutches of infertile eggs? If so, is a large abdomen the only obvious sign? What age does this start? Do you need to provide a lay bin? I haven’t been able to find much info. TIA

04/16/15  11:15am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area