Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Herbertthefirst   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Herbertthefirst
View Profile

Bit of a concern

Hey, first post so bare with me. I have a uro named herb, unknown age that i bought from the pet store. From what i read seems to be pretty friendly. I rarely touch him unless it seems mutual. i started out by handing feeding him, then slowly days after days he kept walking further and further into my hand, until he climbs up my arms, i love em, he seems comfortable as i let him make the decisions. He’s climbed up my arms twice now so i let him run around in the room probably for a total of 5 minutes until he comes back to my hand. i put him back in his terrarium and he basks for probably 5 mins or so and into his hide he goes. It’s wednesday april 15, at 230 and he went into his hide monday the 13th around 3 and hasn’t come out since. I have seen him stay in his hide for a full 24 hours and not move or come out before. He usually always leaves his tail out of his hide when he sleeps at night. This time i have noticed he now has his tail in the hide as well. Tuesday night i forgot my window open and it got decently cool in my room, enough to wake me out of my sleep. Herbs still breathing and when i touch his foot thats hanging out he does move. I’m wondering if im doing anything wrong, or if staying in his hide for 48 hours or more is natural? i don’t believe he is in brumation as he is an adult, but im new to this and maybe they still need a cool time?

now for the more percise stuff you guys will probably wanna know:

1) How long have you owned the animal:
Since February.

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size
36 long x 18 deep x 16 high - I do planning on upgrading as ive seen him doing in circles on his basking rock.

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
N/a, ball park 15, 16 inches.

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
Just Herb my uro.

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
Climbing tree(highest point)- 51.8 celcius (123.8F)
Basking rock (hot side)-49.3C (120.2F)
Measure with a digital thermometer.

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.

35.1 C (95 F) Hot side
25.4 C (78 F) Cold Side
Measure with a digital thermometer
and stationary thermometer

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
So my light set up on the hot side is one zoo med 160w uvb bulb, one 75 watt basking light under a double dome fixture located 18" off the terrarium floor.
cold side is one 25watt exo terra uvb150 and a 25 watt zoo med uvb 10.0, possibly too much uvb? I have the lights set on a 12/12 coming on at 8am and going off at 8pm.

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
Ive been keeping the diet pretty straight forward. Feeding him only mixed greens: baby lettuce, baby greens, endive, and radicchio, ive tried carrots, cabbage and berries, herb isn’t a fan. I also feed him food for parakeets approx, every two meals which he really likes. he’ll eat everyday but i found alot of water was coming out with his stool (stool was still solid) so i cut down to feeding him one every other day. sometimes putting parakeet seed in between for a snack. this seems to have helped with that "problem".

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used
No supplementing, any reccomendations would be appreciated.

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand

substrate is play sand. he licks at the glass and his tree sometimes, but ive yet to seen him come close ingesting sand, sometimes some gets in his nose.

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….

Daily routine would be coming out in the morning anywhere from 9am (more common) as late as 11:30am(less common). basking on his tree for a few hours then he’ll move around, eat, climb at the glass on the cold side then return to the hot side to bask on his rock. usually he’ll retreat for the day anywhere between 2, 3,(more common) sometimes 4(less common). he usually pokes his head out of his hide and stays awake and observes me for an hour before poking his head in for the night

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.
Appetite is good, always loves chomping down the food i give him. usually give him approx 3,4 table spoons of greens every feeding.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....

Unsual behaviour would be that he’ll go into his hide and not come out for a day, or like this time more then 2 days. Hasn’t really budged either, yesterday his tail was out. now its in the hide with him. thats the only movement ive noticed, other then i can see his belly breathing as i look through the side of his hide.

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.
I dont handle him much, for the first month or two i only handelled him to put him in his cage. Hand feeding was the only interaction as i was afraid of him too Like mentioned above he has wandered into my hand and ive let him out of his cage twice in total, both within the last month, and probably a week apart.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.

I have yet to take him to a vet or had his fecies checked. as he has been quite active and happy looking during the day.
Herb looks like hes had a rough path before me, so im giving him the best ive got. i feel like ive rescued him,,some of his tail looks like it had been rotten at one point, or maybe even a bit green, missing a few spikes or maybe they were pulled off.at the base of his tail some of his skin looks a bit un colored, rough and brown. Im just concerned as hes always been active, and doesnt usually hide during the day, let alone two. how many days should i leave him before should seek help from a vet?

04/15/15  01:28pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Herbertthefirst   In reference to Message Id: 2313194

Bit of a concern

If hes eating and active he can just be sleeping he’ll eventually get up for heat or water but don’t feed until hes fully up...he can be brumating i guess.

04/18/15  08:00pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area