Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Whtboo   That Uro Guy   Whtboo   Whtboo   Whtboo  

Member  Message

Whtboo
View Profile

Brand new Uro - sudden swelling

Today at a Reptile Expo I fell in love with a cute little red Uro. My friend, a long time owner, gave him a quick once over and said he looked okay from what she could see, so I took him home. Within a few hours of arriving home, his left front leg swelled up to nearly double the other leg! It definitely was not like that when I first purchased him just a few hours ago. There seems also to be some kind of protrusion coming out from under the elbow area. That may or may not have been there previously. He didn’t get dropped or jostled since I got him. He will be going to the vet ASAP (luckily I already have a good relationship with the local herp vet) but are there any ideas of what this could be? Injury perhaps? MBD? I feel so bad for the little guy. Anything I can do to make him more comfortable in the meantime, and tempt him to eat? he hasn’t eaten since I got him home, either...

04/11/15  11:14pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Whtboo   In reference to Message Id: 2313147

This happened to one of my ocellated uro’s, It is caused by a puncture wound (sounds like a splinter of wood from the description), the vet should be able to advise on what course of action to take, but the priority should be on preventing infection, i would leave the object/protrusion in the and let the vet remove it in-case it has punctured an artery etc, try offering dandelions or other (edible...) flowers to tempt him to eat and keep him hydrated if he refuses other foods. Also keep him in a sterile environment (bare essentials, two hides a basking spot (+ a UV bulb) and newspaper substrate) for a few weeks until it heals over (the swelling may never go down) before moving him into his proper setup. The Vet will most likely give him some jabs to help fight any infections after removing the protrusion. Other than that try not to disturb him too much, stress should be kept to a minimum while he recovers, hand feeding is ok if the animal is comfortable with your presence but otherwise there is really not much you can do before you see the vet, apart from have a read through Deer Fern Farms and Urowicki if you haven’t already done so to make sure your husbandry is all in order.

04/12/15  03:08pm

Whtboo
View Profile

Message To: That Uro Guy   In reference to Message Id: 2313161

Thanks, he has an appointment tomorrow afternoon. I have him in a smaller tank at the moment, trying to keep him as quite as possible. He has started picking at his salad (its collard, turnip, and mustard greens because that’s what I had on hand. I’m going to go when I get out of work to get him different more appropriate stuff) and he has gone to the bathroom a few times so I’m hopeful that is a good sign. He also drank some water I offered from a syringe. I’m working on getting his set up just right, I admit he was a bit of an impulse buy so I still need to purchase a few things for him but assuming he recovers okay he is looking at the good life from here on out! Thanks again for your reply! I’ll update again when I can.

04/13/15  12:40pm

Whtboo
View Profile

Message To: Whtboo   In reference to Message Id: 2313169

He is at the vet now, we got him as soon as we could which was yesterday afternoon. He has a complete fracture, with bone poking through the skin (which honestly is what I suspected). He was also very dehydrated, so we left him there last night so they could try and stabilize him so he could handle amputation surgery, which they will hopefully be able to do tomorrow. The vet was actually amazed at how well he was doing considering, the bone is complete broken and poking through the skin, he has a massive infection and his foot is nearly necrotic, and he was STILL trying to use the leg. He is such a fighter, I hope my little guy pulls through. Will update again when I can.

04/15/15  12:45pm

Whtboo
View Profile

Message To: Whtboo   In reference to Message Id: 2313191

Whelp, he got the surgery this AM, and he did great during surgery. She said overall it went well, very little bleeding and healthy looking bone at his shoulder(no infection), so that ups his chance at a full recovery even higher. I get to bring him home tomorrow, and I couldn’t be more happy. :D

04/17/15  08:27pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area