Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fricksey28   Corpsb6   Fricksey28  

Member  Message

Fricksey28
View Profile

PLEASE HELP! Concerned Uro Owner.

I have a Moroccan Uro who is still a youngling. I acquired him about 3 months ago at a local Repticon. His enclosure is a National Geographic Reptile Sanctuary 36x18x18, 50 Gallon. Basking bulb of 100w and the other a Mercury UVA/UVB light 100w. The basking side AMBIENT temperature of about 90degrees, last surface check clocked in at 108degrees. Opposite side AMBIENT temp of 80degrees. Two hides, one on each hot and cooler side. He gets fresh food in the morning and before bedtime. He is given a staple of Spring Mix, Cucumber, Sometimes Alfalfa Sprouts, and Carrots.

The problem is that we have recently moved him from our old house to our new house. We took great care and precautions, but it seems he is just not happy with his new environment. However, nothing INSIDE of his enclosure has changed. Ive noticed his humidity fluctuates between 40%-50% now where as it did not at the old house, it stayed at or below 30%. His behaviors are what are bothering me the most..

He always loved basking before we moved and would do all that himself, but now we have to put him on his basking spot for him to even stay there now...He has never been overly active, but he always came out of his hides by himself and ate GREAT and would occasionally "Glass Dance". But now, all he does is hide over 24hrs at times. Its gotten to the point that we have to remove his hides for a period to observe him and try to make him active. He hasn’t seemed to eat AS much, he is eating, his dish is USUALLY empty by bedtime, but lately it hasn’t been. He seems way too lazy and doesn’t ever come out. Please help me to figure out why he isn’t as active!

Thank you all.

03/31/15  01:20pm

Corpsb6
View Profile

Message To: Fricksey28   In reference to Message Id: 2312957

It may be taking time to adjust to the new conditions. (You didn’t say how long he has been in the new house.) It can sometimes take reptiles a while to adjust to different conditions. Also, is the new location colder that your old house? Even if you have heat lamps on during the day, is it possible that night time temps are lower than what you had before? I live in Minnesota and have a walkout basement that gets somewhat cooler in the winter as the warm air tends to rise to the upstairs. The temps can get in the mid to upper 60s. Many of my uros go into their hide boxes for part of the winter. They can disappear for as long as 3 or more months and when they come out they have all been fine. I am not saying that this is definitely what is going on but it may be possible. I would check the nighttime temps. If you still have concerns you should probably take him to a vet.

04/03/15  09:21pm

Fricksey28
View Profile

Message To: Corpsb6   In reference to Message Id: 2313041

Firstly, THANK YOU for responding!

Yes! It is a bit colder here due to the cement basing under the flooring. His nighttime temps in the old house rarely dropped below 70degrees F. It gets to about Mid 60s here, but with the info I’ve read I thought that was acceptable? Also, its been almost one month exactly...so, not too long. If you suggest a night lamp or heat emitter, would be so kind to give your northern advice to fight the night cold? :) Thanks again and Smaug, The Uro thanks you as well!

">

04/05/15  02:18pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area