Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Stormy26   New2uros   That Uro Guy  

Member  Message

Stormy26
View Profile

Substrate Question: Young Uro

Greetings!

I recently purchased a new mali uromastyx and after doing quite a bit of research, I am a little confused on substrate. Years ago I had rescued an adult uromastyx, which I kept on play sand for years with no issue. Thinking that this would be fine for my newest addition, I purchased play sand for his viv. I have read a variety of books and articles about substrate and have gotten conflicting information. Some have been pro sand and others have not. Then I have heard that young uros shouldn’t be on sand until they are larger and some breeders/owners feel that sand is fine for young uros. I am just not sure what is the best for him, and that is my biggest concern. I am extremely paranoid about impaction and I want to make sure he has the best setup. Currently he is in a 40 gal breeder tank with play sand substrate. I have some tile over part of the tank and I have his food bowl on an elevated rock that is on the tile. He is about 5 inches in length and has been eating normally and very active since I brought him home 2 weeks ago. Would this setup and substrate be sufficient for this size uro? Also I was curious as to how often do young uros poop?

1) How long have you owned the animal

Two weeks

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size

40 Gal Breeder Tank

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal

Mali uromastyx; 5 inches

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured

130F; digital therm.

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.

95F; digital therm,-Evening temps around 80F

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx

Yes, Solar Glow 125W, Brand new. About 10-12" from uromastyx

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
Spring mix, dandelions, shredded carrots, squash

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used

Calcium/D3 supplement; 2-3 times a week

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand

Play sand

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….

He comes out in the morning and eats. Lounges off and on throughout the day and retreats to his hide around dinner time.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.

He is a big eater and usually finished two bowls of greens.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....

I got brought him home two weeks ago, so he is still getting use to his new home.

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.

I have been trying to let him get use to his surrounding so I have only now started to handle him for short periods of time.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.

01/29/15  12:07pm

New2uros
View Profile

Message To: Stormy26   In reference to Message Id: 2312110

I have read many post about this subject and all I can tell you is to go with your gut feeling. I purchases 4 baby uros late 2013. I put them all in separate enclosures with paper towels for substrate. I kept them on paper for about 8-9 months. After that I tried different substrates, including play sand with no issues. I have found that using tiles over paper towels works the best for me. It’s the easies to clean. If u worry about impaction, I suggest paper towels until your Uro puts on some size.

01/30/15  12:20pm

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: New2uros   In reference to Message Id: 2312138

The best substrate is a mix of dry soil (dirt...) and sand (approx 60% sand and 40% soil, but a higher % sand is sometimes better) made so that it will hold a shape. This is the closest what they naturally live on and is a very good all round substrate. Though there are several other mediums which can be used successfully such as washed play sand, aspen or bird seed/millet. If possible a depth of 4 inches or more will allow them to utilize it properly and dig, but it is important to make sure any loose objects are either supported (wooden blocks or bricks berried under the substrate) or fixed to the bottom of the tank so that they aren’t excavated under to then fall on you lizard.

04/07/15  11:50am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area