Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jwiedner   That Uro Guy   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Jwiedner
View Profile

Help!!! New uromastyx with tail rot!!!

I just got the uro yesterday. He was not being taken care of properly and I could not leave him there to die so I got him instead of a pretty male saharan. He was only in a 20 gallon aquarium with repti bark as substrate and a huge dog bowl full of water in his cage. He obviously has some issues so i just want to know what I can do to help. Im getting a 75 gallon for him asap and I replaced the repti bark with millet seed. Also I can feel bumps in his stomache im guessing is the reptibark. I really dont have the money to take him to the vet anything is better than what he was living in. Any advice is appreciated. Please help me save this guy. He is very friendly and I already love him and just want the best. Also I am guessing hes egyptian?? And how do I tell what sex it is??? And can someone please tell me how to upload pics.

11/15/14  09:34am

That Uro Guy
View Profile

Message To: Jwiedner   In reference to Message Id: 2310844

If you know how to upload a photo to Photobucket a link/url to it there or similar will do for a picture. He unfortunately sounds like he(just going to assume he for simplicities sake) is impacted, The first thing you really should do is take him to a reliable vet there is a list of good reptile vets here Link I would also suggest having a thorough read through Urowiki (wont let me link it for some reason?) and asking any remaining questions you have on husbandry after, here. If you can’t get him to a vet it should be worth ringing them up to see if they can give you any help over the phone, but Without taking him to the vet (or atleast speaking with them) the only advice i can give you is to try and gently massage the lumps through which should help him pass them if they are impactions. The tail rot cannot be rectified but if good conditions are provided for the animal (also make sure the tail is kept dry) it may be halted but again to stop any infections caused by it a vet trip is needed. I can’t say any more without pictures etc... pictures of the tail, head, underside (belly) and ventral area (also a full body shot) should be enough to tell what most of the problems are and to give a species and sex.

04/07/15  11:37am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Jwiedner   In reference to Message Id: 2310844

The hard lumps can be the repti bark and impaction is painful and lethal lefted untreated and if it didn’t pass its to big to do so so its stuck in his colon and surgery is the option and with the tail rot needs to be seen by a vet also....going to the vet is the only option and advice I can give and its the right way to go.

04/07/15  01:08pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area