Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ksmcmaster   Takahiro111   Ksmcmaster   New2uros   Ksmcmaster   New2uros   Ksmcmaster   Ksmcmaster   Ksmcmaster   Takahiro111   Ksmcmaster   Takahiro111   New2uros   Ksmcmaster  

Member  Message

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Uromastyx in critical condition...

Im in need of some help please....
I just got back from the vet with my uro, and he said that my uro was basically dying and they cant do much for him, but I refuse to give up on him yet. Let me start by explainging what has been going on.

Without getting into too much detail about me, I have been going through a very deep depression for several months. And unfortunately as a result my care for my lizards had diminished quite significantly. I am not proud of this, in fact it makes me feel worse. But I am doing everything I can do to rectify the damage done.

I have a male and female uro the female is doing better than she was, shes at least eating and doing rather well. My male on the other hand hasn’t eaten in quite some time and is dehydrated. I took him to the vet today. And the vet said he was pretty bad. He tried force feeding him critical care mix, but the uro wouldn’t take it, and they got him to take a mouth full but he would not swallow it. So the vet said that he was pretty much past the point of no return. He did however give him injections of water to hydrate him. And gave me some critical care mix to try feeding him tomorrow after the fluid has absorbed into him some.

What led up to this happening you may ask? As I said I could barely take care of myself for quite some time let alone my pets. Im sad to say! :(
His enclosure is 12 in w, 18 in tall, 30 in long
his temps have been very low im sad to say I didn’t have the proper lighting until a couple weeks ago, but up till today have not managed to get his basking spot to adequate temps. I bought a red heat bulb 250 w. and put it over his basking spot today, and the temp went up to about 98 degrees. But he started opening his mouth, and breathing funny, with his neck and all. And I did read that that’s how they regulate their temps, so I thought because hes not used to the higher temps that was too much for him so I turned it off. But he would also do the mouth neck thing when I got closer to his cage at times too. so I don’t know.

all I know is I don’t want to loose him, Ive had both uro’s for about 2 years now. They were rescued from even worse conditions than I have provided. I thought I could do better. And I can.
If anyone can help me save this dude, please!!!

08/22/14  03:51pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308791

I’m really sorry to hear what your going through...I’ve been kinda depressed too because I was suppose to graduate highschool this month and my school screwed me over so it been delayed until january and my army recruiter is pissed and my mom too :’( but what led to your uro being like this is improper lighting and temps.

08/23/14  12:43am

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2308824

I am trying to resolve that issue, but as I said I increased the temps and he started doing the thing with his mouth and neck etc.... like he was too hot. Not sure what to do at this point. If its not already too late :(

08/23/14  01:14am

New2uros
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308791

Post a pic of your Uros if possible. Sounds like you have a 20 gallon long tank. Stop using the 250w red light. That is used for nocturnal animals. Pick up a Zoomed 50w basking bulb. That should provide a good amount of heat. When your uro opens its mouth, it’s probably trying to soak up more heat. It will go to cool side of tank to cool down. As far as feeding, I can’t give to much advice. U can try soak some iguana food in bottled water to soften it up. Put it in a dish and see if he eats. I hope this helps and good luck. Hopefully some others will post with better help. I know that there are a lot of smart people on this forum. Hopefully one will be able to help

08/23/14  03:20am

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Message To: New2uros   In reference to Message Id: 2308828

not sure how to post a pic on here... but he doesn’t look good. I took one tonight. He’s barely breathing. If he makes it through the night, Im going to try soaking him to hydrate him some more tomorrow. and try feeding him the critical care formula the vet gave me. I will also pick up that bulb you suggested. thank you for any and all help!!!

08/23/14  03:36am

New2uros
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308829

Don’t soak for more than 15 minutes. You don’t want to stress out the animal more than it already is. Also, use bottle water. Water should be slightly warm, about 80 degrees or so. Only put enough water that it WONT be submerged. Make sure u get his basking temp up so he can warm up after his soak.

08/23/14  10:49am

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Message To: New2uros   In reference to Message Id: 2308837

well Im feeling a glimmer of hope today. He has had his eyes open more today than he has in days put together. Im really nervous about force feeding him though. I had to do that for one of my leopard geckos a few years back, and it was very traumatizing for both of us I feel. And the little guy passed away within a week anyway.

08/23/14  11:44am

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308839

well first attempt at force feeding him the critical care was an epic fail, he wont even budge his mouth open at all for me to even get a drop in there :(

08/23/14  06:09pm

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308876

Please someone help me!!!
I got the 50 watt basking bulb but the basking temp is only at 84 degrees.

08/23/14  09:24pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308882

I really don’t have much advice since I don’t have a uro anymore...but what did the vet recommend you to do?

08/23/14  09:40pm

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2308883

He recommended trying to force feed him today, but had little hope for him as he’s not responsive to being fed or anything.

08/23/14  09:48pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308884

Did you try to mash up a fruit or baby food fruit one and put one your finger and see if he’d eat it....when my water dragons were first born this is how I got them to eat cause they wasn’t eating right.

08/23/14  11:31pm

New2uros
View Profile

Message To: Ksmcmaster   In reference to Message Id: 2308884

Put a rock under the basking area. Or a piece of tile. Something that will hold the heat better. Also, how are u checking the temps? With a temp gun? I’m running a similar setup for a baby Uro. The 50w bulb gets me to 125 degrees in basking spot.

08/23/14  11:50pm

Ksmcmaster
View Profile

Message To: New2uros   In reference to Message Id: 2308891

Ive got a slate rock under the basking light, and under that a hide. Im measuring the temp with a temp gun...

08/24/14  12:52am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area