Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CilantroThough   CilantroThough   Rothery   Rothery   Corpsb6   Nicholouse   Takahiro111   Herpman112  

Member  Message

CilantroThough
View Profile

First post ever: opinion on cage setup

Hello,
So I purchased an ornate uromastyx and have had him for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and he is the first lizard I have owned. My little brother (who is more experienced than me with lizards) pushed me into buying playsand for the substrate. So I went to a reptile store and asked them for their opinion, multiple workers have told me to use a fine washed beach sand they carry at the store, and they said the uro should be fine as long as i give him a proper diet and give him his calcium/vitamins. Do you guys think I should stick with the washed beach sand or should I go back to using paper towels? Does impaction happen often? or are people exaggerating on the internet? Since this is my first post ill also post the checklist and see what you guys think:

1) How long have you owned the animal
-2 Weeks

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size
-40g Breeder: 36L x 18W x 16H

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal
-Ornate Uromastyx, about 7 inches, just under a yr old, Male

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post
-Just the one ornate

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured
-Between 115-122, measured by the zoomed therm. gun

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well.
-90 degrees in the middle, 80 on the cool side

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx
-Just purchased a 10.0 UVB bulb, 18 inches long and setting it right in the middle

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed
-Spring Mix (without the spinach), sprinkled with calcium and herptivite

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used
-Calcium and Herptivite, every serving because he is under 1 yr old (is that a problem?)

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand
-I was using paper towels, now im using a fine beach sand/play sand

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot….
-He wakes up at around 9:30 in the morning, and bask for a couple of minutes to warm up, then he eats his veggies, and goes back to the basking spot. He wonders around and scratches at the glass for a couple minutes then returns to the basking for another 10 minutes. He does this routine all day till around 8:30pm, when he decides to sleep.

12) Describe your animal’s appetite.
-He eats his whole bowl of greens in the morning, and i feed him again around 2pm, sometimes he eats the rest and sometimes he doesnt eat it at all.

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb....
-He scratches and tries to climb up the window a lot, when i asked the workers at the reptile store they said hes doing it because he is young and in heat. Another concern is he is a very heavy sleep, and when he wakes up he is a darker blue for the first 30 minutes. (night temps drop to 70 degrees.

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling.
-I try not to handle him right now because i want him to settle in, so i only handle him when i have to clean the cage.

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.

Here are some photos of the set up

08/07/14  06:17pm

CilantroThough
View Profile

Message To: CilantroThough   In reference to Message Id: 2308318

Sorry folks, here are the images

08/07/14  06:42pm

Rothery
View Profile

Message To: CilantroThough   In reference to Message Id: 2308319

Hi and congratulations on your new uro. Looks beautiful. I’m not massively experienced myself (my uro is 1 year old) but frankly since you haven’t had any sort of response I will apply the knowledge I do have. Your setup looks good to me, it’s very similar to my own, a bigger viv might be a good idea when it’s done some growing. Your temps seem good.

I don’t use sand myself but from the research I did before buying there are tons of cases of happy uros on sand. Though as you mentioned there’s also the horror stories and it’s a subject that seems to cause debate.

My uro took over a month to stop the glass dancing thing. Never does it at all now. Like yours he also sleeps super heavy. First day I got him home I really thought I’d killed him he sleeps that heavy.

I have an occellatted uromastyx but from what I gather with the ornates colour changing whilst they warn up is normal.

11/15/14  03:26am

Rothery
View Profile

Message To: Rothery   In reference to Message Id: 2310841

Oh couple more things. He shouldn’t need the calcium supplement every day. One or two times a week should be sufficient as long as hes getting a varied diet. Look up some care sheets for other food variations. Mine loves lentils and green beans but there’s lots of options. You may find that he’s picky and won’t touch some new foods.

11/15/14  03:33am

Corpsb6
View Profile

Message To: CilantroThough   In reference to Message Id: 2308318

I have several uros, all kept on play sand and have never had a problem with it. I just get the play sand sold in bags at home depot and it has worked fine for me.

11/15/14  10:44pm

Nicholouse
View Profile

Message To: Corpsb6   In reference to Message Id: 2310852

I am new to the forum but my Uro is about 17 years old and has lived most of her life on sand and never had any issues. However I did just post about how she seems sick. I do not believe that is from the sand though. I used a large slate tile for the basking half of my enclosure and when I made that change a few years ago it seemed to make for a very happy Uro. I got it at Jerry’s and it was like a natural looking slate so it had the rough rock like side and a smooth bottom. Nothing sharp on it. Enjoy your new friend!

12/07/14  01:09am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Nicholouse   In reference to Message Id: 2311189

I had a mali uro for 2+ years and had him on slate tile...sand can cause impaction and has happened often and is something common in reptile captivity.

12/07/14  02:08am

Herpman112
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311191

Your setup seems fine, ornates tend to climb a bit more then others so you might want to put some nice sticks or something like that for him to climb on. The glass dancing should subside in time, one thing i do is run a piece of dark paper or black tape from the bottom upwards about 3" on the inside of the tank, he will not see his reflection or outside the tank as much, works for some not all though. Sand is fine, no need for it to be too deep though, about 1/8 - 1/2 " deep, will not hold so you don’t want them trying to burrow to much, provide hides and stuff for that. Nice looking critter.

12/31/14  07:53pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area