Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Parkor   Takahiro111   Parkor   Takahiro111   Kelso reptiles   Cassandra1248  

Member  Message

Parkor
View Profile

Miracle Lizard

Ive had my uro about 8 years, every since I’ve raised him from just a little baby I’ve never felt the love and compassion I have that I do for this guy.

I live in Oregon, I had my ex girlfriend in town so I wasn’t paying as much attention as i should to my uro as I....should..But long story short I came home Monday from work after my ex left back to Chicago to find my Uro gone out of thin air from his tank, Ive built the tank making sure it was escape proof but somehow he managed to find his way outside, I wasn’t exactly sure what happened to him weather someone stole him or something happened to him but all I knew is that he was gone, Each and every single day I spent hours looking for him outside, for 3 days I couldn’t find a single trace of him, I left his lights on and his shelter outside incase he were to wonder upon it but after the 4th day I began to become hopeless and started to try and let go of the fact he is gone and that I will never see him again.

Today I get a call from my neighbor whose out of town telling him his roommates found a lizard wondering along the fence line in my apartment. I rushed over to find low and behold...It was my uro and he had in fact been outside for 5 days though rain and hail and cold weather.

Since hes been home I’ve soaked him fed him his favorite food and given him crickets, but he isn’t touching a thing, I am afraid he might of eaten some garbage that someone threw in the bushes. His stomach feels pretty empty Ive been keeping a very close eye on him, can I get any suggestions what I should do for my little friend

05/31/14  03:34pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Parkor   In reference to Message Id: 2305428

Miracle Lizard

Its good to hear he’s ok. He’s kinda cold and stressed probably so warm him up good and get hydrated before you began to feed him. And monitor he’s daily activity and see if he’s getting better or worse. I’m kinda suprised he survived in the cold for that long. He’s one strong uro.

05/31/14  05:41pm

Parkor
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2305431

Miracle Lizard

Ive been trying to get him to re hydrate but he wont drink and he wont eat he seems very exhausted do you think he just needs rest?

05/31/14  09:54pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Parkor   In reference to Message Id: 2305440

Miracle Lizard

Let him rest but watch him closely. Reptiles are good for hiding pain until its the last minute. If he’s severly skinny or dehydrated he has to see a vet.

05/31/14  11:27pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2305441

Miracle Lizard

please do not feed him crickets as it is bad for his digestive system... and also do not soak your lizard as it can result in tail rot

06/01/14  06:40pm

Cassandra1248
View Profile

Message To: Parkor   In reference to Message Id: 2305428

Miracle Lizard

The bad thing about rain for uromastyx is that it causes respiratory infections, and possibly a whole bunch of bacterial infections. If he’s not showing signs like discolored skin and pinched spine, then i would soak him in really warm water every night (it’s another way he warms up), take him out as the water begins to cool down, and completely dry his tail with a towel or something before putting him back in his cage.

Even if he’s not openly drinking, he still absorbs water into his body. And you can stop soaking him when he begins to eat like he used to.

The crickets and protein level might actually be too hard on his stomach. It’s like fasting for 4 days and then loading up on fatty foods like McD’s. A good alternate is cooked quinoa. The same nutrition as crickets, it’s cheeper, and easier to digest. Uro’s just usually don’t readily go after quinoa. Flowers are a good stimulant food. Sometimes when things don’t eat anything else, they will still eat roses and dandelions for me.

If he still opens his eyes, you should be good, if he can lift his head and everything, that’s a good sign. But it’s going to be a hard road if he isn’t reacting to you. Just make sure he stays warm (that can sometimes bake out any bacteria in his body) stays hydrated (because the heat lamps really dehydrate sick uros more than usual) and that his food will easily sit in an empty stomach.

It’s amazing that you actually found him.

07/01/14  11:39pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area