Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Eyegrow   KittenScratches   Eyegrow  

Member  Message

Eyegrow
View Profile

Question-Slate Tiles

After reading many different forums and posts, I am leaning towards using slate tile for the entire base for my future uro. I went to Home Depot today and did find some. The way I understood is they have to be unglazed, correct? The ones that they had there were like sharp. The top of the tile was bumpy in like tiny layers of slate if that makes sense? The edges of these pieces were sharp and they peeled off quite easily. Is this how it should be? I went to the gardening section and looked at just square stones, but they had sharp edges too. If you flipped them over they were pretty fine...I’m just worried. What do you guys buy? Where at? Thank you!

05/30/14  11:01pm

KittenScratches
View Profile

Message To: Eyegrow   In reference to Message Id: 2305416

Question-Slate Tiles

I believe "shale" stone has those thinner and sharper layers to it. I used slate that is commonly used to create walkways in my new tank. It is thicker and doesn’t fall apart quite as easily. I found this image online that is the same type of rock I used (though mine is redder which looks nice I think)

There were a couple of little points on what I used that concerned me so I laid it out on the picnic table with those ’sharp edges’ hanging off. I then took a small hammer to the edges to break them off and now there are no real sharp edges on it. Slate will still bust apart if dropped on a hard surface but not nearly as easily as shale. In either case, because this type of stone is fragile, you can modify it by using a small hammer carefully to break it up to the desired size/shape/sharpness...

There are many options available if you go to an actual landscape rock shop ... I see it sometimes at places like homedepot but not always and never as many options to choose from. Also some privately owned rock shops are prone to letting you pick up some "filler pieces" with your order for free since it’s just "junk rock" for them :)

05/31/14  07:07am

Eyegrow
View Profile

Message To: KittenScratches   In reference to Message Id: 2305418

Question-Slate Tiles

Hmm I’ll have to maybe go to a landscape shop then. That rock looks a lot nicer and now that you mention the tiles I was looking at-most were broken. One question I forgot to ask, so baby uro’s should be on paper towels to eliminate impaction. However, since there is no possibility of impaction with tiles, can they be on tile when they’re young? Thanks much for the info!

05/31/14  09:41am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area