Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LizardGal13   Takahiro111   LookingforUro   Pocky   Uromastyxman  

Member  Message

LizardGal13
View Profile

Thinking of getting a lizard...any suggestions?

HI I’m new to repticzone....so ya the question is about what lizard to get...I’m new to owning lizards, as of right now I’m doing my research on which lizard to get.... My personal favorites are the red Niger Uromastyx and the bearded dragon...I fell in love with both...but its kinda hard to choose as you see I’m on a tight money budget...I did find a terrarium off of Craigslist, it’s a exo Terra 36" x18" x18" low terrarium..the owner said he can negotiate on the price on the terrarium and the things that come with it as well. I also know that uromastyx eat veggies and don’t need a lot of moisture while beardies are omnivores and need some moisture and can’t have sand....I don’t mind both but I need someone’s thought on these two like any other ideas or info on them so I know for the outcome...oh and I don’t mind if one can’t tolerate being handle than the other...I sorta did some rsearch and what’s the best substrate for them? :)

04/22/14  11:42pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: LizardGal13   In reference to Message Id: 2304768

If your new to owning a lizard I would suggest starting with abearded dragon. They bot like hot temps but I think the beardie gets slighty larger then the uro your talking about. But if you don’t like bugs or rodents then I guess the uro is right for ya lol.

04/23/14  07:57am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2304770

Also.. bearded dragons usually enjoy being held and having interaction with their owners.. while Uromastyx may tolerate it.. but it really stresses them out. So if you want a pet you can hold.. go with the bearded dragon.

04/23/14  10:47pm

Pocky
View Profile

Message To: LizardGal13   In reference to Message Id: 2304768

Hi! :) I have both a red Saharan (Nigerian) uromastyx and a bearded dragon. Personally, if you are new to owning reptiles I would say a bearded dragon would be your best bet. You’ll probably have a hard time trying to find a captive bred red saharan uro anyway and wild caught uros tend to be harder to acclimate. It took me about 3 months of endlessly searching for my uro. Even still, I ended up buying an import from Doug Dix. The only reason I considered him was because deer fern farms is reputable and really good with providing quality and healthy animals. Also, while uros may be cheaper in the sense that they do not require live feeders, they become rather costly when you consider the more expensive price of the animal and everything they need (more so for the harder to acquire uro species). However, keep in mind that bearded dragons are by no means cheap either, especially when they are little and consuming more live feeders. I know the feeling of wanting a companion, but perhaps you should hold off until you have the money. I only say this because once you add up the tank, lighting, food, substrate, supplements, hides/decorations, and the initial cost of the animal, you could be looking at 300+ easily - not even including what it costs to continuously provide them good care. As far as substrate goes, I’d recommend slate tile for adult bearded dragons and paper towels/butcher paper/bare bottom for beardie babies. This is to avoid impaction, especially in babies because they have a kink in their intestinal tract that makes them more susceptible to it. Some people say they use washed playsand with no problems, but personally I never wanted to take the risk. I am by no means an "expert" in the sense that I have a long standing history of owning reptiles, but before getting my bearded dragon and uro I did excessive amount of research, reading everything I could and talking to everyone possible. For that reason, I suggest you do a lot of research before buying any lizard. It can be frustrating because there is a lot of conflicting information out there, but it is very necessary in providing the best care possible for the animal. Best of luck!

04/23/14  11:11pm

Uromastyxman
View Profile

Message To: Pocky   In reference to Message Id: 2304790

Do your research
I think Saharan Uromastyx are great I have a Niger Uromastyx yellow great pets
Can you fulfil all there needs do research before getting any pet

05/26/15  05:27pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area