Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GMAROLIE   Cassandra1248   GMAROLIE   Herpman112   Kelso reptiles   LookingforUro   Shekotka   Sahara99  

Member  Message

GMAROLIE
View Profile

Slate in tank

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it’s ok to use natural slate as bedding even under my uros hides??? He has had rabbit pellets ( alfalfa) in his tank for 10 years I recently noticed him munching on the pellets and I was thinking of just using slate because he is always constipated even though I feed him well and temps etc are good maybe its the pellets that are affecting his BM’s. I bought one 12 x 12 slate tile to see if he would like it and he is on it right now but is it ok to put it under his hides ????? And on the entire bottom of his tank
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

04/05/14  12:15pm

Cassandra1248
View Profile

Message To: GMAROLIE   In reference to Message Id: 2304394

Slate in tank

The only problem i could see would be that some slate tiling is really slippery and that isn’t too good for his nails and doesn’t let him grip the ground. Sometimes you can just flip the tile over and it has a lot more traction. The tile would be fine though, i’ve known people who use it. And it conducts heat very well.

04/05/14  04:10pm

GMAROLIE
View Profile

Message To: Cassandra1248   In reference to Message Id: 2304404

Slate in tank

Thank you for your reply. The slate I bought is kinda rough so I don’t think it’s slippery. I was debating whether I should do part slate and leave the pellets under his hides as he’s so use to it’s a thought !!!

04/05/14  05:16pm

Herpman112
View Profile

Message To: GMAROLIE   In reference to Message Id: 2304406

Slate in tank

why not put some White millet under there, he/she can snack if desired , decent for them and very easy to clean like sand etc. They can also "fake" burrow in the stuff, move it around with their feet, keeps them busy.

04/07/14  05:46pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Herpman112   In reference to Message Id: 2304443

Slate in tank

The whole substrate subject is very debatable. i personally use very finely screened washed play sand, to keep any large pieces from getting stuck in their gut.
i have heard that in fact uros are from areas that do not even have much loose soil, except a few species such as Egyptian uros and a few others. its more compacted and clay compacted.
as with any lizards the deal to substrate is to keep the lizard from getting impacted. i have heard people use all sorts of things and argue if their right or not, millet, washed play sand, bird seed (WITHOUT SUN FLOWER SEEDS) , ceramic tile (for houses) , flat Slate rocks and even some mix them.
millet, birdseed, and sand do have always the capability of impaction, as the seeds and millet are not always fully digested and can clog the stomach tract , and sand doesn’t digest and if it has alot of silica can bind the stomach and intestines but as stated they do allow for digging which keeps the lizards active and exercised. as for tile and slate, they can keep lizards from being impacted from accidentally eating the substrate, but as said they do not allow for digging, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. but they also allow for better and higher ground and basking temps.
so yes the whole subject is very debatable.

04/07/14  08:33pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2304450

Slate in tank

I have slate tile lining the whole 6 foot house.. and then I used square bricks you can get from lowes plus more slate tile to build little hills sort of all along the back. He runs up and down them and under them all day long. Gordo is my first uro.. but he sure seems to like it.. and the slate does heat up nicely.

04/08/14  11:08am

Shekotka
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2304468

Slate in tank

I was wondering if I could use a combination of slate and marble (not high polish or anything, just this beautiful rough natural marble tile I have. My main question is if its safe/necessary to seal it? I’ve been told the stone will absorb and stain from any moist food or fecal matter, which, especially with the latter, I think wouldn’t be great for my uro. I’m thinking as long as I seal it with food safe marble sealant used for kitchen counter-tops and the like, it should be ok? Someone please tell me if this is a terrible or crazy idea. Thank you!

04/12/14  02:53pm

Sahara99
View Profile

Message To: Shekotka   In reference to Message Id: 2304550

Slate in tank

Slate is fine. I used to use it all the time and never had any problems and it looks good.

04/15/14  04:04pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area