Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

GiovanniB   Herpman112   Kelso reptiles   GiovanniB   Kelso reptiles   Silvermarmot   GiovanniB  

Member  Message

GiovanniB
View Profile

Mali Uromastyx handling care

I have had my orange mali uro for about two years now. I want to handle him but every time I try he ends up squirming, shakes his head and he freaks out. I have read to hold him right before he sleeps so he is relaxed but I’m unsure. Would it be better if I don’t handle him? I don’t want to scare him. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

03/29/14  08:09pm

Herpman112
View Profile

Message To: GiovanniB   In reference to Message Id: 2304262

a few things you can do to help along. Superworms (in moderation) canhelp tame them to your hand a little bit, don’t go crazy with them, or we risk having everyone get upset for feeding bugs to them :-) but they are fine a few times a week at most, but also once you get a hold of him/her hold them close to your body, your chest is good, keeping your hands around them loosley but restricking the overall movement, use both hands to sort of cup over the entire body until they stop wiggling around, also the less space between the tail and your hand etc means a little less pain for you LOL. Hold them there for a while, stay close to the ground (carpet is best) just in case. when you go to let them go use two hands not just one, using one hand only tends to freak them out more becasue something is in the air unsupoorted. Not sure if this made sense, its hard to explain, hopefully you get the picture.

Good luck.

04/07/14  05:51pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Herpman112   In reference to Message Id: 2304444

PLEASE DO NOT FEED YOUR LIZARD ANY INSECTS!!!!! Its not that we get upset, its that its not healthy for them regardless of that they like them or not. We care for the lizards health.
Uros stomachs and digestive track is not designed to digest protein and bugs. Even in the wild they are completely herbivore, only eating insects very rarely that happen to be on a flower they eat or so.
Also uros are not the type of pet that is to be handled.... They stress out very easily and are more or a look, and watch animal pet. Also their body temp will drop as they need temps in excess of 100 degrees.
As for handling again, i will say its not as bad as say feeding insects which should be AVOIDED always!!! but just keep in mind they will tend to get stressed out too from handling.

04/07/14  08:23pm

GiovanniB
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2304449

Thanks for all your tips. I know not to feed any insects to him, I’m very cautious about these things because I want to make sure I am taking care of him properly. I think it will be best as you said and just not hold him. I wouldn’t want to put him under that stress. Thanks for the replies.

04/09/14  09:40pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: GiovanniB   In reference to Message Id: 2304507

No problem ... He should only be handled when completely necessary, such as taking him out to be put in another cage for cleaning or to be taken to the vet or anything necessary to be taken out.
good luck.

04/10/14  08:33pm

Silvermarmot
View Profile

Message To: GiovanniB   In reference to Message Id: 2304507

If you want some sort of bonding type activity with your uro that doesn’t involve handling, this is what I do: I hand feed him a bit of his daily greens and usually any special flower treats (not peas though, good way to get a bad bite to the fingers if your uro loves them as much as mine does), and you can stroke their back while they’re in the tank. I find that my Icarus loves this kind of attention from me. Uros in general don’t like to be grabbed too much though. I only pick mine up for cage cleaning, to move him to his travel box, and about once a week to do a general health check (making sure nothing looks or feels out of the ordinary and occasionally putting some mineral oil on patches that are about to shed to make the she’d go easier for him). The best way to tell if they are getting too stressed is if their breathing becomes audible because that means they are starting to puff up which is a huge sign they’re scared. If mine starts to puff I always put him down and leave him alone and try again a bit later.

04/14/14  01:31pm

GiovanniB
View Profile

Message To: Silvermarmot   In reference to Message Id: 2304600

Thank you. I never thought about that I will give that a try for sure. I know my Uro will go crazy for rose pedals and the dandelion flower, so I will try to hand feed him those. Is there a special type of mineral oil you use? and where can I find it? I’d also like to put some on him to help ease his shedding process.
Thanks

04/17/14  08:15pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area