Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LookingforUro   Silvermarmot   LookingforUro  

Member  Message

LookingforUro
View Profile

Moving question.

How.. exactly.. would I move a uromastyx across the country?! It would be a several day trip.. stopping at night, from Texas to the pacific northwest. Any ideas on how best to do this?!?

03/25/14  05:42pm

Silvermarmot
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2304208

Moving question.

Really late reply I know, but if you still need advice I’ve got a couple ideas. First, the tank, if you can fit/afford a 20gal breeder for the move it would be best, if not a 10gal will do for the move. I’d get a hide and reptile carpet and use 100% silicon (hardware store) to glue down the hide and then cut the carpet to fit in/around it. You don’t want to take a sharp turn and have the hide tip over on your uro. Next, depending on space in your vehicle you have 2 options: 1) get a converter that plugs into your cars power thing and has a power strip at the other end. This way you could secure the needed light and heat elements to the top of your tank while traveling. Or 2) you can slowly switch your uros day/night schedule by keeping its light/dark time periods the same but moving them an hour each day or two until it has daylight at night so you can cover the tank in the car with a thin fabric to cut out the natural light and your uro sleeps while you drive, then you set him up with lights/heat and food when you stop for the night. The most important thing is to monitor his temps and humidity because of the car being very different from a house, and making sure he/she gets enough UVB since the car windows and tank glass will filter most natural sunlight out.

Then you just need to keep an eye on its stress levels and make sure you settle it as soon as possible in its new home, and make sure to take it to a vet if anything seems wrong when you’ve finished the trip.

04/14/14  02:29pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Silvermarmot   In reference to Message Id: 2304602

Moving question.

Thanks.. my move isn’t until summer 2015 but you suggested pretty much what I was thinking. Sleep during rides and lights at night while the rest of us sleep. I have two 40g tanks.. I would just need the space.. maybe the back seat of the car. (also have a bearded dragon) I worry most about the stress of all the moving.. and the different environment. Maybe I should move him into a 40g several months before the move.. so the shock of the small size doesn’t freak him out? He currently lives in a 125g. The bearded dragon Im not worried about. She could ride the whole way in my shirt and not be stressed! Shes pretty chill. I have a year to figure out how to move 2 100lb dogs, three lizards, a chinchilla, two bunnies, two gerbils, a hamster, and 10 fish tanks.. wish me luck!

04/21/14  07:53pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area