Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Silvermarmot   Arield80   Silvermarmot  

Member  Message

Silvermarmot
View Profile

Habitat and skin care questions

Hi, I’ve had a year old male saharan uro named Icarus for almost two months now. At the moment he’s in a 30"x12"x12" tank as recommended by the pet store, and after I did a bit of research I definitely yelled at them for that one. He’s moving to a 40 gal breeder (36x18x18 I think) tomorrow (he went to his hide for the night before I could move him) until the reptile show in June where I can buy an appropriate tank. The temperature gradient is good, digital read of 100 on the hot side to 85 on the cool side, but I can’t seem to get his basking spot over 115. It’s under a 75w zoo med basking lamp and a zoo med UVB that looks like a compact fluorescent bulb (sorry, I didn’t keep the packaging, but I got it in January). I have a slate tile I think might heat well, but I’m really at a loss how to attach it to his basking rock (he likes to climb so it’s about 7" up) so he doesn’t hurt himself. My first thought was liquid nails, but would that be toxic to him? Advice here would be appreciated.

Also, a minor question regarding his skin. He has a couple of dry patches that look like the start of a shed that he’s constantly scratching against stuff, and I know I can’t soak him like I would a bearded dragon to help him out, but can I rub him down with a bit of mineral or coconut oil like I do with our iguana? I just hate seeing them so uncomfortable during a shed.

03/23/14  06:38pm

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: Silvermarmot   In reference to Message Id: 2304160

for my Sahara I use a 100w or more as they like it hot.

03/24/14  09:47am

Silvermarmot
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2304179

My dome mounts are rated up to 75 watts, and when I tried putting in a 100 the bulb broke off at the base in a perfect line like someone took a torch to it. I’ll probably get new mounts for winter, but since summer is coming soon I’m hoping that moving his tank closer to the windows will give an added boost of heat combined with the slate that’ll push his basking spot up the 20 degrees I need. I was told by a friend who keeps a variety of herps that 100% silicone is a good adhesive, and while I’m still not at the 125-130 zone Icarus seems to like the new temps. He’s basking more than hiding and "panting" which he didn’t do before, and he’s much more energetic in his daily exploration/destruction of his space.

Still wondering if I can oil his dry/shedding patches?

03/25/14  08:17am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area