Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Arield80   Arield80   BFred   Arield80   Cassandra1248  

Member  Message

Arield80
View Profile

Help about pairing please...

so as I had stated before I got two new mastyx they are Saharans but my female was not eating and was always hiding the other other I caught the other juvenile male pinning her down and biting her I was worried about her well being so I took the male out of the cage with her he is now in his own tank. I have a adult male mali uromastyx in a big tank I was hoping to be able to put the juvenile female in the tank with him someday and the other juvenile male I got is a gift for someone so he will not be staying around for much longer. does anyone know if I will be able to put the adult male and juvenile female together ever or not.. I have introduced them to each other outside of his tank he does what look likes pushup and looks kinda mean he has never been aggressive before so I am not sure what is going on I had a female in there with him about 4 year ago but she has sense passed away so I felt like he was lonely go I wanted to find the right female but now I am worried I will not be able to place any of them together

03/13/14  10:24am

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2304032

guess this means no one knows anything about this I really don’t want to have to keep them in different cages for the rest of the time I own them I never had and issue with my male before I had a female in there before but it was years ago and it was her home before it was his...

03/27/14  09:08pm

BFred
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2304229

Hello,
I wouldn’t advise keeping an older male whom is ready to breed together with a younger female which isn’t. He is likely to continue pestering her until her health declines. Plus you mentioned they are different species; so you shouldn’t be keeping them together anyway, and definitely not be trying to breed them.
The reason the male wasn’t aggressive towards the female you had with him previously is likely due to the fact that when raised together as a pair from a younger age before they are sexually mature; they can sort of get used to sharing the same territory.
Now that you are introducing a brand new female to his cage, he sees it as an intrusion of his territory and a breeding opportunity.
My advice would be to continue keeping them separately. If you really want a new female for your male Mali, first it should be another Mali and then after establishing her you would need to add the male to the females enclosure. Even then though it is not guaranteed to work out.

03/28/14  07:35am

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: BFred   In reference to Message Id: 2304230

Ok thanks for your thoughts I was really hoping to get him another female as he seemed lonely and did not do much anymore as he just would sleep all day and come out to eat and that was all but once I did show him the female he now comes out more sit on his rock and sleeps less and seems to have more life to him.. someone told me that he is trying to mate and I should keep him away from her till after may when season is over. I want what is best for them both as I love my animals and I got the female as to get him someone to be with as to no be alone.. When my other female passed away he stopped being as active as he used to and I just wanted my old REX back and he seems to be back now it really sadness me that he will have to be alone for the rest of his life... I had high hopes that he would love the company of this new female...

03/31/14  02:34pm

Cassandra1248
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2304306

Mali’s are super aggressive breeders. If you want to pair them up, I would never suggest a one on one. A trio is fine, but perfectly, I would keep it 1.4. I have seen the males get so aggressive that they rip chunks out of the females. And I wouldn’t even put them together until the female was eating readily, well adjusted, and the same size as your male.
The only thing is male Saharan’s aren’t as aggressive as male Mali’s. So the females are genetically coded to fight off a male Mali.

04/05/14  04:06pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area