Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Withlos   BFred   Withlos   BFred   Cassandra1248   Withlos  

Member  Message

Withlos
View Profile

Uromastyx skin problem

My Uromastyx has this hard spot on his side that today broke off to show some very white skin not attached to the hard material. (also wasnt bleeding) i was very worryed and couldnt find anything online about it that had pictures or any solid help. Any help would be appreciated.

Thats a quick picture that i took and about the best i could get with squish moving around so much.

03/11/14  08:55pm

BFred
View Profile

Message To: Withlos   In reference to Message Id: 2304005

Uromastyx skin problem

Is this Uromastyx housed with another? The shape and general location of the spot along the flank would indicate to me that it was from a bite and the white tissue is scar tissue. The flanks are a common area for Uros to bite each other during territorial disputes etc.

03/12/14  08:31am

Withlos
View Profile

Message To: BFred   In reference to Message Id: 2304013

Uromastyx skin problem

Actually hes housed alone which is the main reason i’m worried.
Could it be that hes rubbing that one side too much going in and out of his burrow? Id hate to have to tear apart all the work hes done digging him self in. (Its probably around a foot and a half long by now)

03/12/14  02:36pm

BFred
View Profile

Message To: Withlos   In reference to Message Id: 2304017

Uromastyx skin problem

That is more puzzling then.
Perhaps a burn that is healing?
If the skin over the area is hard, that indicates that it is dead and will probably turn dark and fall off leaving the white scar tissue beneath.
Difficult to say how it would injure itself like that in its burrow.
Can you take a picture of the habitat?
Could also have been a minor scrape initially that got infected with a fungus or something.

03/13/14  08:40am

Cassandra1248
View Profile

Message To: Withlos   In reference to Message Id: 2304017

Uromastyx skin problem

Awe man, i’m sorry about that!. Really sucks.
From the picture, it looks oddly discolored, so i would definitely keep it clean. If it’s open, id clean it out with a q-tip and an anti bacterial. I use personally use peroxide because its cheep and easy to get ahold of. And put a bandaid with neosporin on it so nothing goes inside.
If it spreads, gets more pronounced, I would go to the vet and see if its fungal, a burn, or bacterial.
If it was housed with another uro, i’d definitely say bite mark. But i don’t know what else it might have been. sorry.

03/14/14  07:53pm

Withlos
View Profile

Message To: BFred   In reference to Message Id: 2304028

Uromastyx skin problem

sorry it took me so long to get back to respond works been keeping me late for awhile. Here’s 2 pics of the tank hes in its a 75 gallon and the rest of the space is open sand.

iv got dandelions growing in the plant box for a snack soon

03/26/14  06:50pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area