Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ascending62   Arield80   LookingforUro   Sie fat uro   Ascending62  

Member  Message

Ascending62
View Profile

Dirty Egyptian Uro

Hey all, I have a quick question that I haven’t been able to find an answer to. My juvenile Egyptian Uro smears poop constantly. He’s in a 3x2x1.5, but I can never seem to clean it fast enough to prevent him from making a mess. I clean the tank up every time, but should I try to clean him as well? or Just let it come off when he sheds? Thanks for any advice!

02/27/14  03:42pm

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: Ascending62   In reference to Message Id: 2303831

Dirty Egyptian Uro

my uro love a nice warm bath I do it like once a week he loves the water but keep and eye on them while they are in there that the temp of the water does not get to cold or they fall asleep I don’t put much water in the sink but enough to cover there body but not there head.

02/27/14  06:03pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2303835

Dirty Egyptian Uro

I really hope you did not take his advice and give your uromastyx a bath. I would take a wet cloth that has been squeezed out VERY well and try to clean the uro with that.

03/01/14  10:23am

Sie fat uro
View Profile

Message To: Ascending62   In reference to Message Id: 2303831

Dirty Egyptian Uro

That viv is way to small for him it is passable until he reaches 10 or 12 inches then he needs a 6 foot or bigger which will be his cage for life -( again 4 foot will last till he is 15 inches but it is a waste spending so much on so many viv’s). Never soak uro’s as it can lead to respiratory infections and easily cause tail rot among other things cleaning can be done with a damp cloth-(mineral oil is preferable instead of water for this) but unless severely covered this should not be necessary.
As for the poop smearing, the most likely explanation i can think of for this is diet as for the poop to be liquid enough to smear all over his viv something is wrong it may also be something like worms or parasites. I think it is worth posting up the current diet he is on to see if there is something untoward there and also paying a visit to a vet to have fecal matter tested, as well as checking to see if he is dehydrated from the amount of water he is loosing from this. But without any more information that is the best i can come up with.
p.s excuse the name i must check to see if i can get it changed it really bugs me lol

03/04/14  03:58pm

Ascending62
View Profile

Message To: Sie fat uro   In reference to Message Id: 2303887

Dirty Egyptian Uro

Thanks for the advice all! After speaking with the breeder, I added more dandelion greens, and a little bit of millet to his diet and that seems to have resolved the problem. I decided to not try to clean him because of the risks, and just keep a close eye on him. hopefully he will shed soon.

and @sie fat uro: The viv size isn’t really part of this post. However he’s 6.5 inches at the moment and his enclosure fits him quite nicely. I have other enclosures he will be moved to as he grows. I appreciate it though.

Thanks again all

03/09/14  06:46pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area