Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Arield80   KrazyKelli   Arield80   Arield80   KrazyKelli   Arield80   KrazyKelli   Arield80   KrazyKelli   Arield80   KrazyKelli   Arield80   Arield80  

Member  Message

Arield80
View Profile

Help New uromastyx

Hello today I got another uromastyx from someone as they could no longer care for it I have one already and had another one before too.. this new one is only about a year and a half old but after looking at his back it looks like his spine is not straight he does not seem to be in pain from it but there are lumps on his spine near his tail and you can tell the spine is not really straight I am worried something could be wrong with him I have googles to see if anything comes up don’t want to put him in with mine is something is wrong with him.

02/18/14  04:06pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2303706

Help New uromastyx

Pictures?

My first thought is MBD, or Metabolic Bone Disease. This comes from the Uro not having enough calcium in it/ no UVB and can be disastrous if it’s not given any in the initial growth steps. If he came with a UVB bulb, replace it. The bulbs lose their effectiveness after roughly 6 months. MBD results in the bones turning rubbery and twisting out of place. The limbs and jaws are most commonly affected, but it can also notch the tail and arch the back. MBD can be stopped altogether by giving it proper UV and calcium-rich foods with low phosphorus. The damage already done can be permanent, but more recent afflictions may be at least partially reversed once calcium levels are back up to speed.

02/18/14  10:24pm

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303711

Help New uromastyx

ya after looking around online that is what I think it had to be I am really upset that someone would let this lizard get to this point he stops and starts to shake I see him use his limbs to move around alittle but not much and he has not eaten sense I got him but I see the person was using a house 65W bulb. I cant believe someone could treat and animal like this I just bought it and I feel soo bad for him... I want to call this women back up and ask for my money back but I just don’t want this poor lizard to go back to this women who did this to him he is less then 2 years old.

02/19/14  09:02am

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2303712

Help New uromastyx

what should I try to get him to eat if I can get him to eat?? I might have to make him eat.. the women I got this lizard from now says she did not notice anything wrong with him... how can you say that I can see the lumps on his body just looking at him... she tells me she will look into what this MBS I wanted to be like OHHH now a year and a half later you want to look into it... I have him in is own little tank as I don’t want to put him in with my other lizard... as to not stress him out more then he already is.. I changed his light right away when I saw that the lady had a house light not even a reptile light for him

02/19/14  09:32am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2303713

Help New uromastyx

You already have uros, but I’ll throw this together anyway: Link Feeding chart for herbivorous lizards.

Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Bok Choy, Figs, Endive, etc. You want to pay particular attention to the column labeled ’Ca:P’ That’s Calcium to Phosphorus. Phosphorus technically cancels out calcium, and the ideal ratio is 2:1. Feed the sick uro foods that are close to 2:1 or 2+:1 Ie, 4:1 or 16:1.

Worse case scenario, put a bunch of greens in a blender with Pedialyte and syringefeed mush. Be very careful, as reptiles with MBD have weaker bones, thus a weaker jaw. Don’t put force into it.

One of the signs of mbd is shaking limbs.

Quarantine the new uro for 90 days + a vet visit. Do not put it close to or within contact of your other uros, and set it up in its own tank. If the tank you currently have is woefully small - ie, the uro cant’ turn around in it - then you’d better find the funds to build or buy it a new one. You don’t know what else could be wrong with the uro, and you don’t want to make your other uros sick. The vet can provide a calcium injection and check for parasites.

02/19/14  10:18am

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303714

Help New uromastyx

ya I am looking for a good herp vet around me I made some calls but go figure they close early on Wednesday’s out here... I have him in a different he can move around in but he is not moving around much at all just laying in the light... looking at him I want to cry that someone could let him get to this point an then sell him instead of taking him to a vet I am in contact with her now and telling her I want the money back for him I had gotten him for a gift for my girlfriends brother but now I have to keep him and try to get him back to good health... I have yet to see him eat sense I have gotten him and he is doing the shaking thing let me see if I can get you a pic of his back so you can see what I am talking about but its hard to get a pic to to show it cause of his spots and coloring you cant see it to well in images... I have had 2 uro before and never seen anything like this before.. is it bad to handle him I now yesterday he wanted to curl on on my chest and sleep I will trying what you said about the food just hoping he will eat something soon..

02/19/14  10:35am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2303715

Help New uromastyx

Don’t cry in pity or feel sorry for the burden that’s been set in your lap, nor even for those who caused it in their ignorance. Instead, look with your head held high toward the challenge and seek out ways to fix it in due time.

With how the uro’s been kept all this time, I seriously doubt it’ll immediately die on you in the next few days. It’s under the lamp light to warm up and garnish the uvb rays. Sooner you can get to the vet the better, but it’s not going to ruin you that it isn’t today.

And if you really want your cash back, the best thing to do is to have the paperwork from the vet specifically saying that This, this, and this are wrong. Right now it’s all word of mouth. "Your uro is in piss-poor health. Gimme back my money because I say so" is going to get you boo’d at. It’s like a guy buying a diamond ring, then demanding his cash back because he claims the diamond isn’t legit. Then expects to get both his cash back and run off with the ring (which is still the real deal). Now if you say, "I took your uro to the vet. And the vet diagnosed the Uromastyx with MBD, dehydration, etc, which could only happen from when it was in your care. Here’s the vet report. Since that’s the case, you sold it to me under false pretenses and I would like a reimbursement on my funds."

02/19/14  01:32pm

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303717

Help New uromastyx

I called the lady I got him from today and she asked me what did I do to her lizard like this is something I could have done over night... I told her I have had uros for 12 years and mine were always fine... she then told me she wanted the lizard back but I really for see her selling it again on craigslist it saddens my heart for that little man but I printed out all the stuff you sent me and the MBD info gave her a better lightbulb but told her she would need to get a new one asap then was like they will rape me at the pet store so that shows me that she will not treat this lizard the way he needs to I offered to keep me and use the money I had spent on him to bring him to vet but she said she would do so on her own... so thanks so much for all your help.. guess I will be back to looking for another one for mine so he is not lonely... boooo

02/19/14  03:45pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2303719

Help New uromastyx

What, you gave it back? Why, the deal finalized when you paid for it.

One way to fix the craigslist matter: Report her acct to the website and tell them that you were given a sick, dying animal. Explain your fears that she’ll try to sell it off again and scam someone else.

02/19/14  04:13pm

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303720

Help New uromastyx

ya I did that I told her already if she tried to resell that animal that I would flag her every time I seen it listed and I would report her after a long talk with her yesterday and a few tears on my behalf for this lizard I pray she does what is right for him.. I gave her my 100w uvb light and told her that is the right kinda lighting she would need for him and gave her a herb vets number gave her all the paper work you sent me and stuff I found online about what we believe was wrong with him.. I feel she truly felt sorry... she could have not called me back not meet up with me.. she told me this was her sons lizard and he just stopped paying attentions to it.. I told her at anytime if all this becomes tooo much for her and she wants to gift him to me I will gladly try my best to give him a great life.. but I guess I am back to looking for another uromastyx I really wanted a female anyway but it still hurts my heart that someone could let him get that sick I honestly though he died on me yesterday he fell off the rock and seized up and did not move for a while and was hard as a rock then started breathing really heavy.. I began to cry and rub his belly and he goes from fine one min to this then to not moving much... I would never buy an animal from craigslist as you don’t know what your getting but my girlfiend got it.. lesson learned LOL

02/20/14  10:59am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Arield80   In reference to Message Id: 2303724

Help New uromastyx

On the contrary, it’s alright to get pets off craigslist. You just have to demand photographs in advance and know what problems to look for. Also to ask how it was taken care of and what it was being fed.

It’s like getting a dog at a shelter. You don’t do blind dates, you go there and see the dog before taking it home. And you’ll know if the dog is too much for you.

02/20/14  11:11am

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303725

Help New uromastyx

ya your right my girlfriend does not really know much about these lizards as I do once I saw it I knew there was something wrong with him... but I think from here on out I might look for a breeder or someone say something about a convention coming up

02/20/14  12:14pm

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303725

Help New uromastyx

so I hit up the lady to see how the lizard was doing and if she was following up with the things I told her and gave her and if she was taking sunny that is his name to the vet.. she told me she got me a 150w reptile light now and he is doing well she said he is running around not seizing up and is eating and doing better but I honestly don’t know if I believe her but I really do hope he is getting the help he needed she still tells me she had no idea he was sick.

02/20/14  10:54pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area