Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Keeper9921   KrazyKelli   LookingforUro   Corpsb6   Arield80  

Member  Message

Keeper9921
View Profile

Brand new Uro

Hi, I have wanted a Uro for years and I finally got one today! I got so much confusing information along with her. The guy from the rescue where I got her said to use play sand. I bought some. Went to PetSmart to get a ceramic heater and a UV bulb and the girl there said to use carpet. Well, luckily I had an extra 20-long piece of carpet from my leopard geckos, so she is on that for now. I did some more reading and I KNEW I had read that they love to burrow. She has a nice big food dish, so I don’t think she’ll ingest sand and get impacted. My leopard gecko got impacted when she was a baby, so I’ve been through that and never want to again! I also read they like millet for a substrate. Tell me what you think. Carpet? Play sand? Millet? Something else?
By the way, I’m out of my mind excited to have her. She handles really well, she’s beautiful, I want to make the best possible habitat for her.

02/08/14  08:43pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Keeper9921   In reference to Message Id: 2303522

Brand new Uro

Stay away from millet. The best substrates to go for if you want more natural is as down to earth as it comes. Ie, playsand, non-fertilized soil, etc. Maybe a mixture of both to provide better burrowing possibilities.

The reason so many lizards get impacted on ’sand’ is because pet stores sell crap that can kill the lizard. Calcisand is the #1 worst substrate out there because it has garbage in it that attracts the lizard to eat away and isn’t digestible, resulting in the gut getting gummed up. Vitasand is second worse, same reasons. And Lizard Litter (a.k.a. ground walnut shell) has sharp bits that can cause internal bleeding and septic bowel. All three and their offshoots are human-made to replace the real stuff like dirt and regular sand you can get at the garden store down the block. Why? I don’t know, maybe it turns a profit or sounds cooler at the expense of a pet’s health.

Sifted play sand is fine-grained enough and doesn’t have all the unnecessary junk that would otherwise screw a terrestrial reptile over.

As for the expensive UVB bulb, that’s a good thing. Helps the uro create its own vitamin d3, which in turn helps it absorb and metabolize calcium. You had a leo, so you probably know the jist of d3 and what it does. Replace the bulb biannually, because the UVB can weaken in the bulb over time.

02/08/14  10:45pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303525

Brand new Uro

I lined Gordo’s 6 foot tank in natural slate tiles. I like it, its easy to clean. It never gets smelly because i wipe/wash off his waste.. instead of it sinking down through sand to the glass. And best.. its as close as I could come to the natural rocky environment they come from.

Plus.. its cheap.

02/09/14  12:18am

Corpsb6
View Profile

Message To: Keeper9921   In reference to Message Id: 2303522

Brand new Uro

I have my uros on play sand with limestone rock and/or ceramic tile.

02/11/14  05:45pm

Arield80
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2303525

Brand new Uro

I had been using a lot of that stuff over the years and I took it all out but my lizard liked to dig in the sand so was thinking of doing the play sand and wash it cause some people said that is best to do... I am not sure how I would go about washing it then letting it dry LOL but I am willing to do whatever I need to do to make my lizards happy... they are a big part of my family...

02/26/14  11:09am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area