Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Megadam   LizardGirl96   LookingforUro  

Member  Message

Megadam
View Profile

Injured Mali, please help

I have a 7 year old male Mali Uromastyx who, by some miracle, fell out of his tank last night. I found him lying on his back on the floor, about a foot from the table. The fall was probably 4 ft. I have no idea how this happened. I know Uros aren’t known for climbing and I don’t know how he could have gotten out.
Anyway, I think he might be injured. When I picked him up he wasn’t moving, had no visible breath or heart beat and barely opened his eyes. He was making a swallowing motion every (long) few seconds. He did have a reflex when I touched his tail. I took him to the vet and they said there wasn’t much they could do for him. They offered me euthanasia. Instead they gave him some fluids with antibiotics and some pain meds and I’m watching him over night. He does seem to be moving around now and I can see shallow breaths, but only one side of him is working. It looks almost like he’s trying to flip himself over.
What do you guys think? Could he just be drunk from the meds or is there a serious issue? I know it takes a lot to make a healthy Uro go down, and I know they don’t go down without a fight. I just don’t want this to be his last.
Any suggestions, advice, support?

01/16/14  08:23pm

LizardGirl96
View Profile

Message To: Megadam   In reference to Message Id: 2303043

Well I am not experienced with uro’s just got my first one. Sounds like he may have smacked his head pretty hard and he may now have some neurological issue. He also may have something wrong with his balance. I know when an eardrum gets busted in cats (I know very different animals) they have a halfway to impossible time balancing. So maybe he thinks he is trying to stand right side up. I honestly would let him go. You have no idea what sort of trauma has happened to him and he could just be suffering and slowly die... imo let him go. You obviously did a great job caring for him. Best wishes. Angie

01/18/14  02:59pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LizardGirl96   In reference to Message Id: 2303057

Did the vet do an xray? No broken bones?

01/19/14  01:06pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area