Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Benderman0123   Kelso reptiles   Corpsb6   KrazyKelli  

Member  Message

Benderman0123
View Profile

My sluggish uro

my uro has been pretty sluggish lately. he is sleeping a lot and not eating much. any thoughts on what could be wrong?

12/29/13  10:28am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Benderman0123   In reference to Message Id: 2302804

My sluggish uro

could be a variety of thing.... temps could be too cold, or hot making him stay in his hide where its a little cooler...could even be MBD which cause their legs to go paralyzed or hurt so bad to where they don’t wanna move not to cause pain.

12/30/13  02:30pm

Corpsb6
View Profile

Message To: Benderman0123   In reference to Message Id: 2302804

My sluggish uro

This could just be your uro going through its natural cycle. I live in Minnesota and have a walk out basement where I keep my uros. When it gets colder (and dryer) in the winter a lot of my uros go into their hide boxes and stay there for a few months without eating. Right now most of them do not come out at all during the day. At first I worried about them but they always come out in the spring just fine. I am not saying that this is for certain what is going on, since you didn’t provide much information as your conditions, but it may be the reason.

01/05/14  03:52pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Corpsb6   In reference to Message Id: 2302914

My sluggish uro

I agree with Corps. Most lizards during the winter months go into Brumation, which is a lizard form of hibernation. They’re generally sluggish and slow down eating, as well as their metabolism, until the weather warms back up. And this can go on for one to three months. You can make this happen by lighting the tank less in the winter, but occasionally the house itself drops by five to ten degrees and the lizard feels this, shifting into brumation gear all on its own.

Unless the Uro dramatically drops weight, I wouldn’t worry.

01/05/14  05:22pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area