Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

DefineSanity   UROKEEPER   UROKEEPER   DefineSanity   UROKEEPER   DefineSanity   UROKEEPER   GMAROLIE   Vers   Vers   GMAROLIE  

Member  Message

DefineSanity
View Profile

Runny stool

Prada has had runny stool lately and less or no liquids before urates. She had a fecal a few years ago and went through the regimen for parasites double doses actually and clean after retest. Could she have parasites again? She is still eating and active although eating less and going through a shed now.

12/15/13  08:33pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: DefineSanity   In reference to Message Id: 2302696

Runny stool

Possibly yes. I would take a sample in to the vet and see. never double dose a uromastyx. Although some medications are somewhat forgiving it is not a good idea to double dose anything. Dosing should be by weight

12/17/13  03:53am

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: DefineSanity   In reference to Message Id: 2302696

Runny stool

what does the uromastyx diet consist of?

12/17/13  03:53am

DefineSanity
View Profile

Message To: UROKEEPER   In reference to Message Id: 2302715

Runny stool

By double dosing I mean 2 weeks treatment followed by another 2 weeks. Diet consists of dandelion as staple bok choy curly endive chickory raddichio and soaked lentils once a month.

12/17/13  10:40am

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: DefineSanity   In reference to Message Id: 2302718

Runny stool

I would cut back on dandelion a little. It is a staple but there are more staples to feed as well as others in a balanced diet. dandelions are a diuretic so this could be one reason for runny stools if you feed large quantities of dandelion greens.is this uromastyx getting any form of grasses in the diet?

12/17/13  06:03pm

DefineSanity
View Profile

Message To: UROKEEPER   In reference to Message Id: 2302724

Runny stool

I cut the dandelion amount down awhile ago.... Give me some suggestions for grasses and safe alternatives to diet so I can mix it up a bit.

12/18/13  10:29am

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: DefineSanity   In reference to Message Id: 2302730

Runny stool

Timothy grass is very good some also use orchard grass. you can grow it outside or inside. dry as a hay you can put it in a coffee grinder and sprinkle it on wet greens. you can feed it fresh which is a bit better but since the watery stools I would use as a hay. zoo med makes a grassland tortoise diet. I use it dry and use a coffee grinder to break it up and sprinkle on wet greens. I don’t use it occasionally . I would make sure 100% there is no parasite load in this animal. This often is the culprit along with diet coming close second. There are many foods to feed. Mulberry leaves,alfalfa (not sprouts),plantain,white clover, hibiscus leaves and flowers,nasturtium flower,rose pedal,winter and summer squashes,black mission figs,prickly pear cactus,papaya...............

12/19/13  06:50pm

GMAROLIE
View Profile

Message To: UROKEEPER   In reference to Message Id: 2302752

Runny stool

Just wondering how often can you sprinkle the zoo med grassland tortoise food on a uros greens????

01/14/14  03:28pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: GMAROLIE   In reference to Message Id: 2303018

Runny stool

As often as you would like--Mazuri and or ZooMed tortoise pellets are perfectly balanced for any desert herbivore.

01/14/14  07:46pm

Vers
View Profile

Runny stool

Quote:

Timothy grass is very good some also use orchard grass. you can grow it outside or inside. dry as a hay you can put it in a coffee grinder and sprinkle it on wet greens. you can feed it fresh which is a bit better but since the watery stools I would use as a hay. zoo med makes a grassland tortoise diet. I use it dry and use a coffee grinder to break it up and sprinkle on wet greens. I don’t use it occasionally . I would make sure 100% there is no parasite load in this animal. This often is the culprit along with diet coming close second. There are many foods to feed. Mulberry leaves,alfalfa (not sprouts),plantain,white clover, hibiscus leaves and flowers,nasturtium flower,rose pedal,winter and summer squashes,black mission figs,prickly pear cactus,papaya...............

I agree. Make sure you understand the plantain mentioned above is the ’weed’ (Plantago major) and not the fruit. I would advise feeding grasses if possible, specifically orchard, timothy, fescue, elephant, and white clover. I have also heard of people using barley, rye, wheat, oat, blue and chia grasses as well (mainly for tortoise). You can purchase seed online on ebay or from a tortoise supply source to grow on your own.

01/14/14  07:59pm

GMAROLIE
View Profile

Runny stool

When you said you don’t use it occasionally ( referring to zoo med grassland tortoise diet) does that mean you use it occasionally or use it every day ???

01/15/14  06:33am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area