Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Diocletian4   Ciscomastyx   LookingforUro   Diocletian4  

Member  Message

Diocletian4
View Profile

Uromastyx Size Too Small?

I recently bought my mali about 4 months ago and I cant tell if he’s growing. When I bought him the sellers said he was a yearling and he still had shed stuck on his tail. Upon purchasing him, he was 7" and he hasn’t grown since. He is about 27 grams and I think he is starting to shed now. I have him in a 20 gallon long aquarium. The warm side of the enclosure is about 95 the cool is about 85 and his basking is 125, he does have uvb and the humidity does not rise above 20%. I feed him a bunch of greens and supplement it with tortoise diet and calcium. Are all the care requirements met properly?

12/07/13  04:52pm

Ciscomastyx
View Profile

Message To: Diocletian4   In reference to Message Id: 2302572

His enclosure is entirely too small. I have a 40 gallon breeder for my 5 inch, baby Egyptian. Usually, Mali’s get to around 14 inches, full size, and that takes more than a couples years. So long as he’s eating regularly, I don’t think you should be worried. What kind of substrate do you have him on?

12/08/13  11:39am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302578

7-8 inches sounds right for a yearling. They grow very slow. Cisco is right though.. that 20g is entirely too small. I have had my baby Moroccan for almost year and hes gone from 8 inches to 10 inches, from 68g to 92g. So I wouldnt freak out yet. But do get him a bigger house as soon as possible.

12/08/13  12:14pm

Diocletian4
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302578

Thank you for the response and I plan on building him a custom enclosure over the break and I currently have him on washed play sand.

12/08/13  02:14pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area