Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ciscomastyx   LookingforUro   Ciscomastyx   LookingforUro   Herpman112   Vers   Ciscomastyx   LookingforUro   Ciscomastyx   LookingforUro   Ciscomastyx   LookingforUro   LookingforUro   Ciscomastyx   LookingforUro   Vers   Herpman112  

Member  Message

Ciscomastyx
View Profile

Egyptian Uromastyx sleeping all day?

So I went to a reptile convention last Sunday with a close friend, because we both love animals, haha. Well, after a lot of peer pressure from her, I ended up leaving with this little Uromastyx, who we named Petrie. What appealed to us about him was that he was a strict herbivore and wouldn’t have to be fed insects.

ANYWAY, I brought him home, put him in the ten gallon tank I had a bearded dragon in for a week (it was about a month ago, and I took him back because he was really sick) but I got him a 150 watt heat bulb, double what the beardie had. he has a food bowl, a turtle hut to hide in, and a fake alligator skull that doubles as a basking spot and a hide.

The first couple days, he was REALLY skittish, he hardly came out and wasn’t really eating. I think that’s when I went and got him the stronger bulb, and now he’s doing great, for the most part. He’s grown a quarter of an inch in one week (so he’s up to 4.75 inches, now) . He’s on a diet or spring mix, bok choy, and occasionally romaine lettuce, all dusted with reptical. I tried to give him a cricket, but he refused to eat it. (which i thought was beyond adorable) He has a UVB bulb, too.

He eats like a trucker (if lizards could be truckers) and when I put my hand in his cage, he openly walks onto it.

However, my concerns are that he spends almost all of the day sleeping under the alligator skull. The temperature on top gets to about 110 degrees, and I see him get a significantly lighter color when I put him under it to bask. But like, he just sleeps all day, haha. Except for when he eats, of course. But I don’t know if this should be a cause for concern or anything. So I am kind of worried.

Also. I’m not using substrate. he’s on eco-carpet, repticarpet, whatever it’s called. And the humidity is always between 20 and 30%. Except for at night, after I turn the lights out, the humidity in his tank skyrockets, which is another big concern of mine. I’m really sorry that this is so long, and thank you in advance for your help. :-)

12/04/13  11:34am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302511

A 10g tank is WAY too small. My baby boy is in a 125g tank and he runs every single inch of it all day long. You dont need to go that big.. but you definitely need at least a 40g tank. He sleeps all day because he is way too cold. If my temps go down by even 5 degrees my guy doesnt come out either. His ambient temperature on the hot end is 100. The temp on the cool end is 82. The temp in his basking spot is 130. Even if you had everything else good.. which you really really dont.. 110 would probably not be hot enough. 120 is as low as I would let a basking spot get for a uromastyx. By the way.. the 10g tank was way to small for a baby beardie too. A 10g tank is too small for any basking lizard because you can regulate temps in there properly. 110 is what your beardie would have needed. I am trying to give you information without sounding like a complete jerk but I am just so shocked at it all.

The fact that hes a big eater even though hes cold and squished into such a tiny spot is great.. that means that you can probably fix everything and he might be ok.

High humidity is a big concern. 20% is great. Higher than 40 for any significant time could give him a upper respiratory infection. Most houses with central air dont get higher than 40%. Does he have a water bowl? If he does take it out right away.. and remove any left over food that hasnt gotten crispy. In such a small house left over veggies can up the humidity.

I am almost afraid to ask what kind of UV light you have.

Please dont take any of this the wrong way. Im sure you thought you were doing everything you could for your lizards.. but please take the time to read a few of these pages.

The forum will not let me link the pages. Please read the enclosure size, temperature, list of foods, uv and any and every other part your willing to read on urowiki. filecore. net

12/04/13  06:11pm

Ciscomastyx
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2302515

125G? That’s crazy, for a baby. But I’ll definitely get a bigger tank, and a hotter bulb. But, like I said, I do see him get a significantly lighter color under the light, which implied to me that he was okay under it.

And yesterday, he started crawling UNDER the reptile carpet. I noticed it, and so I took him out from under it and he FLIPPED OUT. In hindsight that was probably my fault, because I was going about it all really fast, looking for him, and he had been sleeping. But anyway, I took him out and fed him and he calmed down. And then I put him back in the tank and he went right under it again. I tried to block it off so he couldn’t go under, but he still figured it out. He only didnt try and go under when I turned the lights off for night time.

Oh, and should I put more hides and such in the bigger tank? Thank you.

12/05/13  07:27am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302530

Uros like lots of hides. They love to squish themselves under things. Feeling something on their belly AND on their back makes them feel safe. In the wild they wedge themselves between rocks to sleep for the night. This is probably why your uro likes to get under the carpet. He has found that he can feel the tank under him.. and carpet on top.. so he feels safe. They are also fairly heavy sleepers, so when you wake them up they almost always freak out!

Yes he lightens up under the light.. because it is warmer than under the hide.. but I would still try to raise his basking spot by about 10 degrees at least. You will need a higher watt bulb anyway if you are going to upgrade his tank.. because anything large enough for your baby will be taller than a 10g.

I have an empty 75g and two empty 40g tanks.. but he runs like a nut so I don’t want to put him in anything smaller. My guy isnt a new hatched baby either.. he was around 1 year when I got him (8 Inches). Hes about 10 inches now and I have had him since last February. For your baby.. I would get a 40g breeder tank.

This is Gordos house. He has a hide on the hot side.. which is where he sleeps.. and hes got 2 hides in the middle.. and two on the cool side. He only uses the hot one and the ones in the middle.

12/05/13  10:12am

Herpman112
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2302531

you do know how big some of them will get right? 10 gallon is way to small, sorry, as noted go get a 40 gallon breeder minumum for now but you will need at least a minumum of 4x2x20 or so later on. High heat is good, 115-113 basking spot, 95-100 warm side ambient and 85-90 on the cooler end. Uros don’t tend to hang out in the open much unless they are eating or basking or moving from one end of the tank to the other, when they are doing that you know you have the temps on each side close to right. They are morning feeders, so likley to be up and about by around 10am when it gets warmer and then likley disappear until mid to late day than gone again until morning. I don’t keep this species so maybe some differences but by and large thats the trait. Again as noted earlier, low hides are better for them, they do like to feel something on their backs, i use 12x12" tile that sit on 1x1 wood cut to the right length, they fit just under it (you would be supprised what they can fit into) and they stay there a fair bit, and usually on the hot end, i keep my basking for all of mine around the 125 mark. But the heat is dispursed on the tile so they can choose from around 100 and up depending on how close to the center of the tile they lay on. Get some repashy super veg dust and also their supercal D3 follow the instructions, very very good stuff, blow reptical out of the water and lasts a long while. Good luck!

12/05/13  01:37pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Herpman112   In reference to Message Id: 2302533

Quote:

you do know how big some of them will get right? 10 gallon is way to small, sorry, as noted go get a 40 gallon breeder minumum for now but you will need at least a minumum of 4x2x20 or so later on. High heat is good, 115-113 basking spot, 95-100 warm side ambient and 85-90 on the cooler end.

Just a few slight corrections here. While you’re right that a 10g is too small (even for a hatchling), the minimum for larger species, like U. a. aegyptius, is 6x3x3, and should be larger still, IMO. In addition, basking surface temps are more suitable in the 120-130F range. The basking area should be large in surface area and should provide the animal with a wide, well graduated thermal gradient. The basking lamps themselves, preferably wide flood lamps (outdoor halogen, MVB or MH) should also provide a gradual, well diffused gradient. For a species like U. a. aegyptius, which grow upwards of 2ft, this will take at least two to four lamps to accomplish. IMO they should also have access to a good UV light source like Arcadia/ZooMed T5 HO 12% fluorescent, which is, IMO, superior to D3 supplementation.

12/05/13  02:17pm

Ciscomastyx
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2302531

Alright, I’m going to get a bigger tank today. What substrate do you recommend? Or should I get another reptile carpet?

12/06/13  07:31am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302546

I prefer my natural slate tiles. They were cheap and they are as close as you can get to their natural rocky environment without some serious searching and a lot of work. Lowes has them and they will cut them for free to whatever dimensions you need. Reptile carpet is ok I guess.. if you really like it but I would be worried that your uro’s nails will get caught. My beardie was always getting caught in her carpet before I switched to tile. At the speeds my uro runs around at... he would shred carpet or break a toe.

12/06/13  08:03am

Ciscomastyx
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2302548

Alright, I went and got a 40 gallon breeder tank. I got a whole new UVB fixture (Reptisun 10.0). The rod looking thing, not the swirly bulb. I was going to get tile, and I’m still thinking about that, but at the store the guy told me about millet seed,
and they sold that there, so I got a couple bags of that. I got a nice big piece of wood to put in, and I’m planning on ordering a sort of contained humidity cave thing that they can get into to help when they’re shedding, or when they just want it to be more humid. I might build/buy a couple more hides and such, but that’s about it. How is that?

And, apart from Bok Choy and Spring Mix, what other things can I be feeding him?

12/06/13  07:28pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302560

I would be concerned about the humidity hide. Most low profile hides have high enough humidity for them. Does this thing actually produce moisture in any way? These guys can get respiratory infections easily. The millet seed. I know a lot of people use it. I don’t like it. Many uros like to eat it.. so sometimes they can snack on that and end up going off their proper diet. Also.. I don’t like the idea of my lizard eating anything it poops on. When you scoop the poop out.. your getting the solids.. but any urates that may have been liquid have already soaked through and remain at the bottom of the house and on the surrounding millet.. that the uro will later eat.

Curly endive, escarole, dandelion greens, squash. There is a whole list of foods on urowiki. If your using spring mix I would remove the spinach and chard.

12/07/13  12:32am

Ciscomastyx
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2302563

The cave is just a sort of hide. It’s a sphere with one or two entrances/exits, and inside you can put moss or something to hold moisture. I’ll try the millet seed and see how it goes with that, and if he starts eating it I’ll go and get the tile. Thank you so much for all your help thus far. :-) I really appreciate it.

12/07/13  07:04am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302568

Ok.. just don’t put wet moss in the hide. Hides are fine.. great even.. but moss would be a definite no no.

12/07/13  12:19pm

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2302569

Oh.. and no problem. That’s what the forum is here for! I grilled these guys for two months before getting my baby. I must have drove them nuts.. constant questions.. several times a day.. every day!

12/07/13  12:21pm

Ciscomastyx
View Profile

Message To: LookingforUro   In reference to Message Id: 2302570

WOW. He’s looking MUCH better. I don’t know the exact temperature on his basking spot, but I’m using a 75 watt and 100 watt bulb in a dual dome fixture. He’s spending all his time running around and exploring. though. He loves his branch thing, haha. At it’s highest point, it’s no more than eight inches from the light, so he usually goes up there to bask. He digs through the millet at night to sleep under the branch, which is adorable. I have seen him take a couple bites of the millet, and he didn’t eat much this morning. Although, I’m thinking that’s because he didn’t like his "selection". I tried feeding bell pepper and grated squash, and he didn’t seem interested in that. I put a couple leaves of bok choy and he scarfed that down, though. So I’ll just keep watching to see how he eats. He’s really active, though. Looking really well. He gets 15 and half hours of light. And I think that’s about it.

12/08/13  11:25am

LookingforUro
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302577

So glad hes doing better!! That is much more typical uromastyx behavior! I would invest in an infrared temp gun. You can get one at Lowes.. or Petsmart sells one for $30. I use mine every day.

12/08/13  12:17pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Ciscomastyx   In reference to Message Id: 2302577

Knowing the basking surface temperature, as well as other temperatures throughout the enclosure, is critical. Get yourself an IR temp gun and, if you don’t have one, a reliable digital thermometer/hygrometer ASAP (harbor freight, newegg, Amazon). As far as millet is concerned, be sure the animal doesn’t eat too much of it. Millet, unfortunately, has a very poor calcium to phosphorus ratio. Since phosphorous interferes with the absorption of calcium it can have an impact on the animal’s bone health. A lot of people use millet as substrate, which I don’t think is the best idea. Lastly, make sure the branch is well supported and that it cannot shift. I have heard of many animals being crushed to death by unsupported objects within an enclosure.

12/08/13  01:16pm

Herpman112
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2302581

I have used millet for some time now, a few years, i do not experience what has been said, in fact the opposite tends to occur, they leave the stuff alone, the odd snack here and there but they will go to the bean mix i have in a bowl first before the millet. Others may have seen otherwise, but my greens are always eaten when they are hungy. I also let them snack on Iguanna juvinile food, they seem to really like that stuff, so i use it sparinlgy but it has good vitamins and stuff. To each their own, if it doe not work out swap it out, millet is very cheap. One thing though, if you buy it in bulk make sure yo place it in the freezer for a few hours in case there are moth larva in there, happens from time to time. The 40 breeder will do you for a while, i would start planning on building yourself a tank though for later, something you can take your time with, build a really nice one for when he gets older and bigger.

12/10/13  01:20pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area