Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Rothery   Herpman112   Rothery   Herpman112  

Member  Message

Rothery
View Profile

Advice - Young ocellated uromastyx care

I’m a new ocellated uromastyx owner, and I’m looking for a little advice. My uromastyx Odin is 7 weeks old and the petstore owners have handled him daily so he is very friendly. I’ve had him about a week now and I’ve just begun to handle him and it really is a handful, he goes pretty wild and it’s wicked fast, i just ended up putting him back for fear of him finding something tall to jump off. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about handling it? Should I even be handling it?

Also, when near the front of the tank he comes charging over and starts to flail its arms on the glass, does he like me? lol or is this a problem.

He is currently around 5 inches long, he is also in the final stages of shedding. My vivarium is glass, measuring 36 inch long, 12 inch width and 15 inch height, I plan to increase that when he gets a little bigger.

Also, how fast can i expect this little guy to grow?

I have so many questions :o

If anyone can help Id be grateful

11/28/13  08:16am

Herpman112
View Profile

Message To: Rothery   In reference to Message Id: 2302425

Not sure when you posted this, but if you have only had him/her for a week its pretty early for handling, you should allow the animal to settle in unhandled for a good couple weeks minimum, make sure you have the proper temps and gradient and you are feeding good foods. If you try to "catch" it to many times it will begin to shy from you and become very nervous (wiggling at you and running about jumping at the cage walls etc) With new animals i have always made sure they got settled in first, then i would try to introduce food to them (a long leaf) at a distance and see if you can get them to munch, do this before you put that days food in and make sure he/she is warmed up. If it goes nuts in the cage start with just opening the door and putting a hand in there for a bit, no moving around, do that for a while then get closer etc, sounds like a pain and can be but it has worked many times for me in extreme shy cases. Also, letting it run around is generally not a good idea, these guys can get into some pretty small places and are very difficult to get out (part of their defense) they can wedge themselves into something pretty good it would surprise you.

Once you can handle it if it starts thrashing around with its tail you want to hold it close to your body and cup most of the animal so there is little room for the tail to move etc, you never want to "hold" the animal, instead you want to mover your hands with the animal, staying ahead of it, while gently restricting its total movement (hope that made sense) never squeeze though, and always stay close to the ground, carpet is best just in case, they are fast though. Anyways take your time and remember they are not a Bearded dragon, they can take a little more work.

PS, not out for too long though, they really need to maintain a decent body heat .

12/02/13  09:46pm

Rothery
View Profile

Message To: Herpman112   In reference to Message Id: 2302486

Hi, thanks so much for the reply. After a few days I stopped checking, presuming no reply was coming, I wish I had kept on looking now. I’ve continued handling him briefly every day, as I didn’t really know differently, the pet store owner told me that a few days would be fine. I must say though things seem to be going ok, he’s in no way shy, in fact the moment I come near the viv he comes running round, and often leaps onto my hand if put it too close to his basking spot. He’s also takes food from my hand pretty much whenever I offer it to him, he’s eating tons now that he’s done shedding.

I really appreciate the advice on how to handle him, my current system has been to use a small portable tank, take him from the viv, put him in the tank, and take him over to the bed where I sort of set up a dome and sit in the middle, just so that he cant get away, Ive been warned about their amazing ability to wedge themselves into places and I don’t fancy a first hand experience at all. I also haven’t had him out for more than a few minutes for the heat reason. It will be useful to know how to actually hold him, i will make more of an effort to restrict his movement with my hands when I hold him.

I’m eager now really to know how things sound to you (or others if you have an opinion)? should I still back off a little. I’m knew to this and I haven’t exactly done things by the book it seems, but im devoted to it and he seems happy enough in my novice opinion. Thanks again.

12/06/13  06:03pm

Herpman112
View Profile

Message To: Rothery   In reference to Message Id: 2302558

Nope sounds like he/she is comming along nicely, it is hard to explain how to "hold them" something you sort of come by and learn after handling allot of reptiles, long and short of it, is you want it to be able to move but you always want to "feel" him moving through your hands, like the slinky thing LOL move a hand up in front so it is always climbing to some extend, then hand to hand but always having a light grasp on it, so that if he make a sudden fast move you are right there to apply just a bit more pressure to slow it down :-) After a bit you will undertand and you will learn more about what it will do given certain situations, but always watch for that "leap" LOL. Hold handle at low heights is always best, bed is fine, they do have decent depth perception and are not known to simply jump off of something tall. Good luck, sounds good.

12/10/13  01:12pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area