Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Beardy83   Hippo130   Beardy83   Hippo130   UROKEEPER   Beardy83   Hippo130   UROKEEPER   UROKEEPER   Beardy83  

Member  Message

Beardy83
View Profile

Interested in getting a uro however...

After some research I’ve read many different things about enclosures I know on this forum everyone stresses 4X2X2 but I’ve read many other comments of people saying they have their uro in a forty gallon tank I already own a 55 that measures 4X1X2. I was wandering if the experts think that might be suitable or not?

09/20/13  10:37pm

Hippo130
View Profile

Message To: Beardy83   In reference to Message Id: 2301243

Interested in getting a uro however...

A 4x2x2 is generally considered the minimum. This is because

A) As the animal grows, it will become to large for a 40 gallon breeder or a 55, etc. And moving the animal to a new terrarium is unnecessary stress, babies can find their way around a 4x2x2, they don’t need to be in something smaller than what an adult uses

B) Establishing the temperature gradient. You need so much length so that the temperature can go from 120-130f at the basking spot all the way to 80-85 at the cool end, this is significantly harder, and doesn’t establish a very smooth gradient with something smaller than a 4x2x2

Hope I helped

09/20/13  11:31pm

Beardy83
View Profile

Message To: Hippo130   In reference to Message Id: 2301246

Enclosure construction

I am pursuaded that my current tank is too small if I were to build my own what are the ideal materials I’ve read about people using large plastic tubs, but considering the amount of heat this creature needs plastic doesn’t seem like a wise choice. So again I turn to the people with experience and knowledge of this matter any suggestions would be appreciated, also I consider myself to be a good carpenter so construction of a uro dream enclosure sounds like loads of fun!

09/21/13  07:12pm

Hippo130
View Profile

Message To: Beardy83   In reference to Message Id: 2301256

Enclosure construction

Oak is great, it is costly but it’s the best, seal it up with a low VOC sealant and it looks great, won’t swell up, and is sturdy.

09/21/13  10:47pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: Beardy83   In reference to Message Id: 2301256

Enclosure construction

formaldehyde free plywood (oak,birch) or solid wood (non soft/aromatic) and AFM safecoat products to seal is ideal. try and build the biggest you can fit with a bare minimum of 4x2 footprint

09/22/13  08:52am

Beardy83
View Profile

Message To: UROKEEPER   In reference to Message Id: 2301273

Enclosure construction

Has anyone ever used an enclosure shaped like a triangle to be placed in a corner? I can get the most cubic feet with this design, the front of the enclosure would measure 7’ across with the two sides or corner pieces at 5’ giving me 34.5 cubic feet having the height at 2’. What I am uncertain of is will a triangle affect the heat gradient?

09/22/13  05:25pm

Hippo130
View Profile

Message To: Beardy83   In reference to Message Id: 2301282

Enclosure construction

That would be neat with a centrally located basking spot. However i’m not an expert by any means, so take my comment as a grain of salt.

09/22/13  05:43pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: Beardy83   In reference to Message Id: 2301282

Enclosure construction

That would be excellent. ou could have several basking zones some into the UV and others without that way the animal can properly thermo and photo regulate it’s body. Look into Mega Ray Metal halide kits and/or 160 watt Mega Ray MVB for UVB. Some use Arcadia HO linear fluorescents with good results for higher basking areas as well as zoo med repti sun 10.0 linear fluorescents however some of these need to be placed closer than 24" depending on the type you buy. for the heat you can use indoor/outdoor halogen floods. If you are not using a MH type bulbs for light/uv a high cri 5000k-6500k non uv compact fluorescent can fill in colours left out by halogens and mv’s. combination lighting has many benefits to the well being of these animals. These are diurnal sunworshipers that can see colours and even into the uv. I think the cage described would be an excellent size for your animal. You could set up several timers simulating a sunrise/sunset along with using thermostats will make for easy temp control. depending on season even day to day house temps can fluctuate drastically with a thermostat it will do the work for you a much safer option.

09/22/13  06:49pm

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: UROKEEPER   In reference to Message Id: 2301288

Enclosure construction

the amount of floor space in this enclosure will facilitate a great thermal gradient and many choices for this uro

09/22/13  06:51pm

Beardy83
View Profile

Message To: UROKEEPER   In reference to Message Id: 2301289

Enclosure construction

The triangle shape sounds like it should work my next question is about decor, I saw some neat ideas one of them was sheets of styrofoam carved to give the back of the enclosure some texture and dress it up a bit which was then grouted and sealed, just wandering if that is an ok idea or should I avoid placing styrofoam in the enclosure?

09/23/13  07:27pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area