Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hippo130   GMAROLIE   Hippo130   Vers   Vers   Hippo130   Hippo130  

Member  Message

Hippo130
View Profile

Picked up my Ocellated baby this morning

So today I went down to the Canadian Reptile Breeders Expo in Toronto and picked up my baby ocellated uro "Franklin".

I don’t have any pictures right now, I will in a few hours though. He did well in the car ride, and is now running around the hot end of the terrarium, attempting to climb the walls, stopping to bask every now and then, and he’s done pretty well about eating, and with the size of his belly, he wasn’t starving himself under the breeders care by any means.

Thanks to everyone (especially Vers) for the helpful advice along the way, I’m really excited to see what he’s like when he calms down a tad and becomes more acclimated to his new surroundings.

09/14/13  01:45pm

GMAROLIE
View Profile

Message To: Hippo130   In reference to Message Id: 2301112

That’s great!! Good luck with him. Cant wait to see pics!!

09/15/13  12:59pm

Hippo130
View Profile

Message To: Hippo130   In reference to Message Id: 2301112

Alright, I got some pictures of today with the crap camera because I didn’t feel like bringing out my DSLR. I’ve made an album of pictures here

http://imgur.com/a/7iW5M

I have some questions:

1. Today he ate significantly less than he did yesterday, he still picked at some escarole and radicchio but not much, should I be worried?

2. He rarely stops running, he seems to just kind of arbitrarily run laps around his terrarium, climbing rocks, jumping off them, climbing his cork bark, licking it, and then running, occasionally stopping to do what looks like a glass dance, except on the wooden back of his terrarium. I feel really bad because it looks like he’s really scared and trying to get out whenever he does it, should I be really worried?

3. Do uros usually sleep in one spot? I have my CHE’s arranged by some caves I’ve made for him hoping that he’ll sleep in them, (he has so far) I’m just worried that he’ll decide to sleep in the open away from a CHE one night and that the temps will get too low for him (I put a temperature probe next to him while he was sleeping last night, and when i came down at 1:30am and 7 am to check on him it was at 83-81f, I’m assuming these temps are okay at night)

4. He used the bathroom yesterday without trouble, but today he hasn’t at all, is this normal?

09/15/13  04:06pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Hippo130   In reference to Message Id: 2301137

He/she looks great! Congrats on the pick up :] Behavior seems perfectly normal for any new, healthy individual...activity is a good thing. Out of curiosity, how far away from the basking surface is the MVB and what brand/model is it?

09/15/13  04:45pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Hippo130   In reference to Message Id: 2301137

Oh, and low 80s high 70s is fine for nighttime temps are fine and it is very typical for an animal to pick a single hide and stick to it.

09/15/13  04:55pm

Hippo130
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2301142

Oh thank goodness, not to make a sympathy show but I do suffer from paranoia so i’ve lost a lot of sleep thinking about him. The MVB is a zoo med powersun 160 watt, hoping to switch to a t5 HO set up after it’s used for a bit as you recommended, for now it seems to work fine. it’s ~ 15 inches from him, the box + zoo med product catalog say anywhere from 12 to 16 inches is good or something in that range.

Finally, the breeder gave me some of their lentil and seed mix, as well as some bee pollen which I put on his food yesterday to try and encourage him to eat since it was a long, cool (temperature wise) car ride. they breeders english was alright, but they did have some difficulty, and my french is pretty meh, but together we managed to come to an understanding that the seed mix is, obviously, a mix of seeds and lentils ,it includes some orange lentils, some black ones, what looks and tastes like poppy seed and sesame seeds I believe. They keep it in a dish for all their uros and they seem to do fine, but the urowiki says to keep hatchlings off of lentils, should I stop feeding them? He ate them a bit yesterday, but he did so like a child, he nudged them with his nose till they were roughly sorted by colour and then he ate most of the lentils, it was pretty adorable.

09/15/13  05:37pm

Hippo130
View Profile

Message To: Hippo130   In reference to Message Id: 2301144

Gah one more thing, the breeder has lights on at 7 am and lights off at 7pm. When i turned the lights off last night he picked a hide, curled up in a ball and went to sleep. My main che died on me for whatever reason so i had a halogen on very dim and he seemed to sleep fine despite the small amount of light. I picked up another CHE today, and I went to screw it in today at 6pm so that it would be ready for his bedtime, but I found that he had already curled up under his hide. Is it normal for them to try and sleep despite the fact that lights are still on and it isn’t "bed time"? I figured it’s just brumation, and if I ran as much as he did, I’d be tired too, but I just want to make sure.

09/15/13  05:42pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area